• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdmillertime

What is the name of your state? California

I am an exempt employee and have been punching a time clock for the last 1 1/2 yrs. My paycheck stub shows over 1000 hours PTO. The company now wants to cap the PTO. I understand that I am not eligible for OT pay, but since the company is showing accrued PTO on my paycheck stub, am I entitled to be paid for the PTO time. We have never had any written policy in place on PTO or vacation time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you asking if it is payable at termination, or if they have to write you a check for it today while you are still employed with them?

If the former, the answer is yes; CA prohibits use it or lose it policies and unused time must be paid out at term. If the latter, no; they MAY pay it out while you are still employed if they choose to, but no law requires that they do so.

ecmst12

I think he is asking if it is legal for them to have a policy saying that they stop accruing PTO if they accrue a certain amount without using it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">