• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Domain Day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Today, January 1, 2022, creative works from 1926 that were copyrighted, and published with the authorization of the author, now join the works published before 1925 in the public domain. The public is now able to use these original publications freely, without cost or fear of infringement.

Some of the half million or so 1926 works that now enter the public domain include A.A. Milne’s first Winnie-the-Pooh book and the book’s illustrations by E.H. Shepard. Tigger, as a note, was not introduced until 1928 so he is not yet in the public domain.

Also entering the public domain is Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises, and H.L. Mencken’s Notes on Democracy.

Additional public domain works from 1926 are Al Jolson’s sound recording of Swanee and Enrico Caruso’s sound recording of O Sole Mio and The Sousa Band’s sound recording of The Star-Spangled Banner; the movies Don Juan, Battling Butler (with Buster Keaton) and The Temptress (with Greta Garbo); and the musical compositions Are You Lonesome Tonight and When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin’ Along.

The U.S. Copyright Office (https://www.copyright.gov) has a search feature and you can find a nice look at some of the newest additions to the public domain at:
https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/publicdomainday/2022/

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes it does, thank you! I love vintage books and will have a lot of fun exploring!

quincy

Yes it does, thank you! I love vintage books and will have a lot of fun exploring!
There are some good ones.

It will be interesting to see if their entry into the public domain spawns some new creative works.

quincy

Many of the works created in 1926 are, unfortunately, lost forever due to inadequate preservation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">