• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over for 3 tickets....suspended registration, etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaladvice321

Hello,

I have a legal question. I was pulled over in New York last week for using a cellphone while driving. That's fine, I'm not worried about that. However, I also received 2 more tickets, much to my surprise, of operating a vehicle that has a suspended registration and a suspended registration ticket. First one is a misdemeanor if convicted. This car is in my father's name, who had a brief insurance lapse of roughly a week in July. The cop said that his system is pulling up July and that he has to give me the tickets. I proved I have insurance by showing the card and told the officer I've never heard of it being suspended and neither has my father.

He paid the DMV fees of $8 a day for the week or so it happened in July. Then, we went to a new insurance company (previous one wouldn't keep us for the lapse), to State Farm, had them for about a month but the price was steep so we ditched them and went with a sort-of cut-rate company, Merchants Auto Insurance. We've had them (and paid them all on time) since August (6 months). Neither company, State Farm or Merchants, ever mentioned the lapse or discussed it to us.

So, why would these insurance companies insure us if we indeed did have a suspended registration? The only car on the insurance is this car. Wouldn't these companies pull up the same thing the cop is showing - a DMV record stating the car is suspended. The cop said it's very likely that the DMV messed up and as long as I prove I have insurance and all that I should get them thrown out in court.

Also, my dad renewed his license at the DMV in November of last year. Wouldn't they have not allowed him to renew or something if he had a suspended registration on his only vehicle?

The whole thing baffles us but I'm worried my dad won't be able to find the receipt that he paid the insurance lapse and the DMV will screw us over.

Also, I'm now the owner of the vehicle so how can I get a ticket for a suspended registration?

Thanks,

Dan

swalsh411

Isn't NY one of those States where your registration lapses automatically if you lose insurance? If that is the case how do you plan on arguing that you didn't know the registration was up when you knew there was an insurance lapse?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
However, I also received 2 more tickets, much to my surprise, of operating a vehicle that has a suspended registration and a suspended registration ticket.
That makes no sense. It sounds like you have no idea what you were charged with.

So, why would these insurance companies insure us if we indeed did have a suspended registration?
Why wouldn't they?

The cop said it's very likely that the DMV messed up and as long as I prove I have insurance and all that I should get them thrown out in court.
Doesn't sound like DMV did anything wrong. It was your father's fault or probably the fault of the first insurance company.

Also, my dad renewed his license at the DMV in November of last year. Wouldn't they have not allowed him to renew or something if he had a suspended registration on his only vehicle?
The license has nothing to do with the registration.

Also, I'm now the owner of the vehicle so how can I get a ticket for a suspended registration?
Easy. You were driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">