• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about creating a company for a simple purpose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CalebK

Aw, come on, adjusterjack. There is absolutely no indication that any lawsuit would result from an app marketed under the name "Broccoli Presentations," although a thorough search needs to be done.

The name Broccoli is not owned by the producer and there are 102 broccoli-related trademarks.

CalebK, you can pick a name for your product. You can market your product under that name. That is your trademark. Make sure no one else is marketing the same or similar product under the same or similar name. Review it all with a trademark attorney in your area if you want to best ensure you are not infringing on anyone else's rights.

Read through the requirements for starting a business in your state, to see if you must register for tax purposes.

Good luck.
Thanks much! So according to Apple to have a company account all you need is something called a D-U-N-S number so do I actually have to create a buisness or can I just get one under the name?
[Quote from apple.com]
"Companies and educational institutions must provide a D-U-N-S Number (available for free) registered to their legal entity during the enrollment process."

Edit: NM turns out that number is something apple makes if you have a buisness

Last edited:

CalebK

Each movie's credits show Albert R Broccoli as producer.

I think it's a risk that you don't need to take. Your insignificant little endeavor might never be noticed but if it does get noticed and the lawsuit gets delivered to your door, it'll be too late to get out from under and the cost of a defense attorney alone will drive you into the poorhouse.

Use a little common sense here.
Would it be safer to have it be "Broccoli <enter word here> Productions"

justalayman

Each movie's credits show Albert R Broccoli as producer.

I think it's a risk that you don't need to take. Your insignificant little endeavor might never be noticed but if it does get noticed and the lawsuit gets delivered to your door, it'll be too late to get out from under and the cost of a defense attorney alone will drive you into the poorhouse.

Use a little common sense here.
there are a ton of trademarks (102) including broccoli or some variation of it. I do not see where OP would have a serious concern of a valid dispute. While there is always a risk of a suit, I do not see a valid suit.

In fact, I do not see Albert R Broccoli in that list.

there is a Brian Broccoli though.

and a Bonnie Broccoli (about 20 years old) and if Albert was so against anybody using the word broccoli, I would think he would have done something about one of those 2 by now.

quincy

This is actually pretty wacky, believe it or not a friend of mine came up with broccoli presentations when we were making movies for school projects in 5th grade. I checked and neither of us knew about him.

The other wierd part is he goes under the nickname "Cubby", i used to use "cubby208" online for like all of elementary school and jr high.

What a coincidence I guess...
You can search for other users of the name Broccoli. The fact that there are people with the last name of Broccoli does not preclude its use as a trademark or an identifier for your app.

A mark that is a surname does not qualify for placement on the Principal Register unless the name has gained a secondary meaning in the marketplace (like McDonald or Disney).

I suggest you see an attorney in your area of Washington if you have questions about selling your apps or starting a business.

FlyingRon

You get a DUNS number by applying to Dun and Bradstreet. It was painless getting one for my LLC. Go to dnb.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">