• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about fraud (retail)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I agree with Tranquality.
First; there isn't enough info given for anyone to give you the answer that you seek.
Second; nobody can tell you that it is OK to do something that is wrong and appears to be steeling from the info that you have supplied.
Third; When the retailer figures this out, they may just close the loophole, but they may also seek retrobution.
Again, nobody here can guess from the info given if you are braking any laws.

So the answer is: If you don't want to pay the piper, don't do the the crime.

Mass_Shyster

i guess i thought this forum was different - as in, people with some legal knowledge talking about legal specifics and then offering informed opinions. except for one person providing some legal info (which also gave me a couple other avenues to research) seems like everyone else is just an average joe with an opinion (like me).
oh well.
What's going to happen is that when the retailer decides that they have had enough of your shenanigans, they'll turn to their legal department.

That legal department has access to all of the conditions that you agreed to, and will make a determination if they can pursue you through legal channels.

Since nobody here has access to all of the conditions that you agreed to, nobody here can tell you what the legal department will come up with.

For example: My local grocery store offers a $0.10 per gallon discount at a specific gas station for each $50 I spend in groceries. So if I go buy $500 in groceries, I'll get $1.00 discount on gas (up to 20 gallons). If I fill my tank and get a $20 discount, then return the groceries, what will happen?

I don't know. I would have to go see what I agreed to when I got the customer loyalty card from the supermarket. I haven't seen that agreement in years. There was no gas discount available when I signed it, so I didn't read it very carefully.

So let's say that I agreed to pay all legal expenses for collections. They turn my $20 discount over to a lawyer to collect. The lawyer spends a few hours researching the contract and sends me a demand letter for $20 plus $600 in legal fees. Since that's what I agreed to, that's what I'm on the hook for.

Maybe they'll use the pump and run law to chase me down because I didn't "pay" for the gas. I doubt those laws have an exception written into them for gas purchases with discount cards, so I'd have to check those laws closely too.

Since you refuse to provide any details of your scheme, nobody can guess what you may have agreed to, or if there are any specific laws governing your transactions.

I suggest you contact an attorney, who would be bound by confidentiality, and explain your scheme.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">