• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about name on birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbw5147

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Divorced for several years. There were 2 children as a result of this marriage and because of that, Mom decided to keep married name after divorce. Children are older now, capable of understanding, so Mom is in the process of having name legally changed back to maiden name. Mom is due with 3rd child in the next couple of months. Father is not involved and has stated that he will not be involved in the future. If legal process of name change is not finalized prior to birth, can Mom give newborn her maiden name on the birth certificate?

Thanks!

This is for my sister who does not have computer access right now. It's getting down to the wire for her, so I told her that I would try and get her question answered. I did try to research the forum library (before bothering you guys!), but couldn't find an answer to this question.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Divorced for several years. There were 2 children as a result of this marriage and because of that, Mom decided to keep married name after divorce. Children are older now, capable of understanding, so Mom is in the process of having name legally changed back to maiden name. Mom is due with 3rd child in the next couple of months. Father is not involved and has stated that he will not be involved in the future. If legal process of name change is not finalized prior to birth, can Mom give newborn her maiden name on the birth certificate?

Thanks!

This is for my sister who does not have computer access right now. It's getting down to the wire for her, so I told her that I would try and get her question answered. I did try to research the forum library (before bothering you guys!), but couldn't find an answer to this question.
She can give the child whatever last name she likes.

rbw5147

Thanks Ld! I kinda thought that was the answer, but didn't want to give her an answer based on "that's what I kinda thought!"

AkersTile

Honestly Mom could name kiddo Barack Obama, Bill Clinton or Santa Claus if she really wanted to although I wouldn't advise it because that's just a mean, evil thing for a parent to do to their child. Kinda like naming them Fifi Trixibelle or Pilot Inspektor. You can, but its just wrong to do it to them.

But yeah, she can give kiddo her maiden last name.

Proserpina

Honestly Mom could name kiddo Barack Obama, Bill Clinton or Santa Claus if she really wanted to although I wouldn't advise it because that's just a mean, evil thing for a parent to do to their child. Kinda like naming them Fifi Trixibelle or Pilot Inspektor. You can, but its just wrong to do it to them.

But yeah, she can give kiddo her maiden last name.

(As it happens, Fifi is perhaps the most well-adjusted of the Geldof clan....)

(Jes' sayin' like...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">