• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm asking this on behalf of my mother who doesn't speak English very well.

She work as a janitor for a janitorial company. The company will give her multiple sites and she would drive around to those places to clean. They provide her with a car and informed her that they also pay for her driving time too so if she work 6-3, she will get 8.50 hours (minus 30min lunch).

They give her a time sheet to record down her activities/time and she would give them the time sheet at the end of the day. She keep a copy for herself too.

When she get her paycheck, she notice that they didn't pay her all her hours. I asked her to go and speak to them how they calculated her hours to come up with the total hours on her paycheck. She's scare to go talk to them because she said she spoke to the girl that work in the office once (she is the same race so they talk in our language) and the girl just told her that she should be lucky she have a job. I asked her again to go talk to them and she said she dont want to since they already cut her hours too.

Is it legal to go and ask how they calculate the hours on her paycheck?

pattytx

Of course, it's legal.

If she chooses not ask, that's her choice, but if she files a wage claim for unpaid wages, the state is going to want to know what she did to try to rectify the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">