• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AkersTile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I have POA for my 4 stepkiddos. 7yo SD had a cardiologist appt today due to Prolongued QT and Supraventricular Tachycardia. Dad told Mom about appt so she could be there and she came.

Cardiologist suggested 2 options for kiddo, medication or surgery. Mom told Dr to schedule the surgery (without talking to Dad). Dr said he couldn't schedule surgery without consent from both parents. Mom told Dr that *I* could give consent for Dad because of POA.

I told Dr that I didn't feel comfortable making that decision without talking to Dad first and I didn't think that was a decision that I could make with the POA. Dr agreed with me that Dad needed to give his consent, not me.

I figured Dad would want to do research on it as well as speak with the cardiologist, so I set up an appt for next Fri since Mom and Dad both don't work Fridays and can both be there to speak with the cardiologist.

Did I handle this the right way?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I have POA for my 4 stepkiddos. 7yo SD had a cardiologist appt today due to Prolongued QT and Supraventricular Tachycardia. Dad told Mom about appt so she could be there and she came.

Cardiologist suggested 2 options for kiddo, medication or surgery. Mom told Dr to schedule the surgery (without talking to Dad). Dr said he couldn't schedule surgery without consent from both parents. Mom told Dr that *I* could give consent for Dad because of POA.

I told Dr that I didn't feel comfortable making that decision without talking to Dad first and I didn't think that was a decision that I could make with the POA. Dr agreed with me that Dad needed to give his consent, not me.

I figured Dad would want to do research on it as well as speak with the cardiologist, so I set up an appt for next Fri since Mom and Dad both don't work Fridays and can both be there to speak with the cardiologist.

Did I handle this the right way?

Absodanglutely.

AkersTile

As always, Thank you Pro:)

Dad would have preferred to have this appt on a Friday, but the hospital scheduled it so we had no say. Cardiologist was awesome about putting a note in kiddo's file that any further appts need to be on Fridays.

Proserpina

As always, Thank you Pro:)

Dad would have preferred to have this appt on a Friday, but the hospital scheduled it so we had no say. Cardiologist was awesome about putting a note in kiddo's file that any further appts need to be on Fridays.

You're welcome :)

If it were emergency surgery that's one thing - and I do realize that Long QT and SVT issues can be dangerous - but I honestly think you did the absolute right thing here.

Good for you!

LdiJ

You're welcome :)

If it were emergency surgery that's one thing - and I do realize that Long QT and SVT issues can be dangerous - but I honestly think you did the absolute right thing here.

Good for you!
I agree. I think that you handled that beautifully.

However...I would give one "caution" to that...and that is if the doctor indicated that time was potentially of the essence, maybe maybe it would have been better for dad to talk to the doctor on the phone rather than making an appointment for later on that both mom and dad could make.

The only reason I suggest that is because mom must have felt pretty strongly about the surgery if she was pointing out that you have POA and could decide for dad. That isn't exactly "normal" for your situation.

AkersTile

I agree. I think that you handled that beautifully.

However...I would give one "caution" to that...and that is if the doctor indicated that time was potentially of the essence, maybe maybe it would have been better for dad to talk to the doctor on the phone rather than making an appointment for later on that both mom and dad could make.

The only reason I suggest that is because mom must have felt pretty strongly about the surgery if she was pointing out that you have POA and could decide for dad. That isn't exactly "normal" for your situation.
Thanks Ld. I'm trying to improve every day... and reading threads on this site helps me A LOT!!!!

I completely agree with you about if it was an emergency surgery. This isn't an emergency though, otherwise I would have called Dad. Dad also gave me his boss's number in case I can't get through to Dad himself for emergencies. Bossman can radio Dad to call me ASAP. I don't know... something about security on the power plant sites and their phones have to stay in the trailer but the foreman can have his phone on him.

There was another poster recently talking about how her hubby was getting a job at a power plant in eastern TN (I don't remember her name). Hubby is on the crew that did all the iron work for that plant. Now their doing one in Texarkana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">