• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about seizing property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ny

In Jan 2008 a notice was sent from Taxation and finance about a "tax warrant" (this is what it says in my case workers computer files). Well today I called case worker for an update and on 4/18/08 a levy was placed. He says he doesnt know the codes and is going to ask the guy in that dept. But he said we wont know what it is until it is seized and posted to the account. He thinks the levy is a seizure of somesort and he gave me an example from what happened to another case.

If they do the "pay this much to get your item(such as truck for example) or we will auction it and apply that money to acct".

Im not sure what type of property it could be. I am thinking its probably taxes or maybe his truck. Only other things are his house but they dont seize that type of property.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of stuff...If they seized something how often afterwards does it take to get the amount applied to the acct. Only property i know of is a 1999 truck, and his name is on the house (but i heard they cant do anything unless he tries to sell the house). His arrear are close to $9000.

It's most likely tax seizers , both state and federal .

If he's near 9 K in arrears , that should have happened a long time ago , unless CSEU just got involved .

https://newyorkchildsupport.com/support_enforcement.html

I was thinking this also...but My case worker doesnt think its the taxes...Even though the title of the code "tax warrant" he says that another investigator he asked said it means the letter was sent out to warn him they were seizing property...The second one is usually the acutally seizure...He couldnt say it was for sure that cause he couldnt find the guy whose in charge of that dept. But that he was going to ask them.

He says he filed his taxes first week of March so im not expecting that for a long time probably July or August.

We go to court in 2 weeks for his "sentencing" for willfully violating the support order...unless he brings $4,000 with him. But he thinks his taxes will be posted by then I dont think it will its only giving it 9 weeks to go through. I heard they hold them for quite awhile.

CLBKLCDTB

I was thinking this also...but My case worker doesnt think its the taxes...Even though the title of the code "tax warrant" he says that another investigator he asked said it means the letter was sent out to warn him they were seizing property...The second one is usually the acutally seizure...He couldnt say it was for sure that cause he couldnt find the guy whose in charge of that dept. But that he was going to ask them.

He says he filed his taxes first week of March so im not expecting that for a long time probably July or August.

We go to court in 2 weeks for his "sentencing" for willfully violating the support order...unless he brings $4,000 with him. But he thinks his taxes will be posted by then I dont think it will its only giving it 9 weeks to go through. I heard they hold them for quite awhile.

It could be that he opened a bank account, and it was siezed,

This happened to a person I know. They owed back support and opened a bank account. Within 30 days of opening the account it was siezed.

It could be that he opened a bank account, and it was siezed,

This happened to a person I know. They owed back support and opened a bank account. Within 30 days of opening the account it was siezed.
They tried doing this about a yr and a half ago but no money was in that particular acct...He could be "smart" enough to open one but I dont think he would he doesnt really need one...It could be..I guess did that person happen to say how long it took to get applied to the acct?
...And side note Your area where you live is awfully close to my ex's :X.

hearts41

Just a little info, they intercepted my ex's taxes, he said he filed mid feb. and the CSE deposited the money in my account about a week ago. The IRS sent him a letter saying the CSE would have it the third week of March but they didn't post it until about a month later. Since he is single they don't hold the money, but if he was re-married I guess they hold the money for quite sometime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">