• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about SR22 and Getting license back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vorvik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was wondering... In California you have to get an SR22 for 3 years after a DUI. I was always under the impression that the 3 years starts from your conviction date. But the other day a friend said that the 3 years starts after you get your license back.

Ive never bothered to get my license back after my DUI and figured since its already been over 3 years I wouldnt need to do the SR22. According to him, I'll still need to get insurance for 3 years as soon as I get my license.

So which is it? Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was wondering... In California you have to get an SR22 for 3 years after a DUI. I was always under the impression that the 3 years starts from your conviction date. But the other day a friend said that the 3 years starts after you get your license back.

Ive never bothered to get my license back after my DUI and figured since its already been over 3 years I wouldnt need to do the SR22. According to him, I'll still need to get insurance for 3 years as soon as I get my license.

So which is it? Thanks in advance.
The DMV will be able to answer this question...give them a call.

HOWEVER, I suspect that your friend is right.

FlyingRon

Actually both of those are wrong.

It's three years from the date you are eligible for reinstatement.

Vorvik

Actually both of those are wrong.

It's three years from the date you are eligible for reinstatement.
So does this mean 3 years beginning right after the original 30 day suspension? Meaning 4 years later I no longer have to worry about that stuff.

Thats basically what I want to know. Its been 4 years since I was convicted. Never got my license back or bought any type of insurance as I do not own a car. I want to know if I can just go get my license back without having to buy insurance and filing an SR22 as I do knot plan on owning a car any time soon.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So does this mean 3 years beginning right after the original 30 day suspension? Meaning 4 years later I no longer have to worry about that stuff.

Thats basically what I want to know. Its been 4 years since I was convicted. Never got my license back or bought any type of insurance as I do not own a car. I want to know if I can just go get my license back without having to buy insurance and filing an SR22 as I do knot plan on owning a car any time soon.
You've had PLENTY of time to contact the DMV...what did they say?

I_Got_Banned

My understanding is that you'll have to file the SR-22 as a condition to having your license reinstated and you'll have to carry it for 3 years from the date it is reinstated regardless of how long its been since your arrest or conviction.

Vorvik

What a strange coincidence.. received a letter from the DMV yesterday letting me know that "The action requiring to maintain proof of financial responsibility... has ended" And that all I need to do is pay the reinstatement fee.

So it would appear that its 3 years from after your conviction and not as soon as you get your license back.

I beat the system. :cool:

4 years without a license, fines and reinstatement fees for a DWI that you wouldn't have gotten had you not driven while being under the influence.
But you past over the SR22 time line.

Ya, you beat the system.

Vorvik

Havent needed a license. Havent paid any reinstatement fees. About 2K in fines vs the 3 years worth of insurance payments I just saved. Yeah, Id say kicked the systems ass.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Havent needed a license. Havent paid any reinstatement fees. About 2K in fines vs the 3 years worth of insurance payments I just saved. Yeah, Id say kicked the systems ass.
So, you're not driving? Wow. I thought everyone did.

or ... did you mean to say that you regularly commit crimes and just have not been caught, yet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">