• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiffani04

What is the name of your state?VA
My daughter's father has every other weekend visitation. For the past couple of weeks his mother has been coming to get her and bring her home. When I call to talk to her he is never there. She is with his parents the whole weekend. Do I have to let her go with his mother?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What does your order say about pick-ups? Do you have right of first refusal? Most of the time, the receiving parent is allowed to assign another adult to do the pick-up. And the NCP is almost always allowed to have the child in someone else's care during their time. What's wrong with grandma getting time with the child? Perhaps you call at inopportune times - he's working, made a run to the store, whatever. And..... is it REALLY necessary to call her over the weekend?

tiffani04

The order just says for NCP to pick child up every other weekend. What does right of first refusal mean? I normally don't call but she had been sick Friday so I was just checking on her Saturday. He told me himself that he would be out all day and also for most of the day on Sunday. I just don't think that she should have to go and sit with his parents all weekend. His mom works on Saturdays so she is with his father all day. I thought visitation was for the NCP to spend time with the child. Not to get her on his weekend, then stay gone the whole time.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Technically, you COULD say he picks her up or noone does - but if that ended up in court, you'd likely be told off by the judge. It's not like he's sending a total stranger.

As for his not being there and your daughter spending the weekend with her grandparents - he's allowed to do that. They are family. Unless they are a danger to him, I personally wouldn't sweat it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">