• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? new mexico
I dont have a warrant but I was wondering about specfic proceedures. So lets say you forget to pay a traffic fine, move to a city 100 miles away. You are stopped for a broken tail light. The warrant is discovered, so now you are automatically arrested? Or a phone call would be made? Is there a national policy in place for what to do next? Lets say the person is arrested, held for three days, then released. Could this person be walking down the street the morning of being released, maybe jaywalking, then, bam, all over again, back to jail to see if the other city has changed there mind. I suppose if the person was wanted a a violent crime or something, procedure would be much different.

JETX

The warrant is discovered, so now you are automatically arrested?
More accurately, you would be 'detained' while the agency verifies the warrant.

Or a phone call would be made?
The citing agency is called and asked to forward a copy of the warrant to the arresting agency (usually by FAX).

Is there a national policy in place for what to do next?
Policy? No.
Practice? Yes.

Lets say the person is arrested, held for three days, then released. Could this person be walking down the street the morning of being released, maybe jaywalking, then, bam, all over again, back to jail to see if the other city has changed there mind.
Yes... sort of. It has nothing to do with the citing agency 'changing their minds'. As long as the warrant remains undisposed, the person will be subject to arrest/detention EVERY time the warrant pops up on the record search ("wants and warrants").

I suppose if the person was wanted a a violent crime or something, procedure would be much different.
Yep. If it is a felony charge, the issuing agency will usually send officers to pick up the subject and return him to the jurisdiction of the original agency. If it is a misdemeanor, the original agency will likely just allow the cost and inconvenience of the continual risk of arrest and detention to eventually induce the subject to contact the original agency and resolve his problem. BTW, once a warrant is issued, it does NOT expire until disposed by the original court or agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">