• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question for a Police officer or CDwJava

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

California State

This actually is more of a serious question than it might initially seem. So please answer from personal knowledge, officer's or attorney's.

When a police officer arrives on the scene of a crime, and starts taking the statements of people they often use such devices such as a pen and notebook to record the statement and describe the environment?

When writing the police report, I am assuming that most officer's probably refer to their field notes in order to write an accurate account, because attempting to remember all that was told to him might be difficult. Especially in a hectic and exciting environment as the scene of a crime.

My other question is: Once the police report has been completed, he then ushers it before his supervisor to endorse and file. etc. etc. etc. Do the officer's usually then discard the field notes, or is there a law which requires the police to keep any notes used to write the police report? What is the likelihood that an officer who has written and completed a police report will then discard any notes used to create it? And how do I check with the police department to determine whether such notes used to create the police report exist alongside the police report itself?

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

:) Well, Carl is the one to ask. he's awsome.

I have seen the police use their police pad. its where he puts my name and dob when he pulls me over.
So I would guess that yes, they are issued a pad that they use. in the field and off.

I wouls also guess they keep it, and no I dont think you will be able to get that from them without a -high profile, jury, with lawyers -case.

CdwJava

When a police officer arrives on the scene of a crime, and starts taking the statements of people they often use such devices such as a pen and notebook to record the statement and describe the environment?
The officer may record or document whatever he or she thinks is relevant. Not all situations require an officer to whip out a notebook and start scribbling. Plus, we can record the interview and contact on audio recorder or even a personal video device.

When writing the police report, I am assuming that most officer's probably refer to their field notes in order to write an accurate account, because attempting to remember all that was told to him might be difficult. Especially in a hectic and exciting environment as the scene of a crime.
Typically you want to refer to your notes. But, as I mentioned, not all situations allow for an officer to immediately whip out a notebook. If I am in a fluid or hectic situation, taking notes is not going to be my top priority.

Do the officer's usually then discard the field notes, or is there a law which requires the police to keep any notes used to write the police report?
California law allows for agencies to establish their own policy. Typically, they leave it up to the officer. An officer should either destroy all notes, or keep all their notes. It is problematic if they only keep some notes and not others, but aside from the problems that such a haphazard process might create in court, there is no strict law mandating one method over another.

What is the likelihood that an officer who has written and completed a police report will then discard any notes used to create it?
Depends ont he case. If I am working an involved investigation such as a homicide, my field notes might be included in the investigative file. If I am investigating a broken window, chances are they will be discarded after the report is written. My personal practice is to save only audio notes (recordings), and not my notebooks. When the notebook is full, I discard it.

And how do I check with the police department to determine whether such notes used to create the police report exist alongside the police report itself?
If you are a defendant you can have your attorney ask for the notes through discovery or subpoena. If not a defendant, you can always ASK the agency for the notes, but they will almost certainly say, "no."

Banned_Princess said:
Well, Carl is the one to ask. he's awsome.
If you could see me, I'd be blushing.:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">