• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question for the seniors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I've posted last week about my separation with my husband.... I consulted a lawyer and I'm aware that he will have equal right to our daughter but if he's not seeing nor paying support to his first child I'm wondering what's the chances of him doing the same to our daughter....Honestly I'd like to get far away from him as possible..... My lawyer also mentioned that becuase I'm the only one with a job I might have to pay alimony and child support IF he is awarded physical custody, is this true?

PS: I wrote Kim an apology letter and have not heard from her yet, but it's a start...thanks all for your help!

Hisbabygirl77

I've posted last week about my separation with my husband.... I consulted a lawyer and I'm aware that he will have equal right to our daughter but if he's not seeing nor paying support to his first child I'm wondering what's the chances of him doing the same to our daughter....Honestly I'd like to get far away from him as possible..... My lawyer also mentioned that becuase I'm the only one with a job I might have to pay alimony and child support IF he is awarded physical custody, is this true?

PS: I wrote Kim an apology letter and have not heard from her yet, but it's a start...thanks all for your help!

Yep its true in fact even if you get joint custody you still may end up pay child support. Alimony may happen as well. If he does not use his time as you know there is nothing that can be done about that.

Isis1

given the length of the marriage, alimoney, HA HA! child support, yes. maintenence support, maybe, for the length of the actual divorce.

the chances of his doing the same to the child you share, almost 9 out of ten.

LdiJ

If he were to fight you for primary custody and win, then yes, you would have to pay child support.

I think that alimony is very unlikely considering the fact that your marriage has been very short term.

I honestly don't see him fighting you for custody, but you could perhaps negotiate in mediation (you likely will get ordered to mediation) to put child support "on reserve" to make it less likely that he would fight you for custody.
You know you won't be able to collect any child support from him, so its not like you would be losing out on anything...in the short term anyway.

He is already going to be having problems with Kim, since you won't be paying his child support for that child any longer.

Hisbabygirl77

given the length of the marriage, alimoney, HA HA! child support, yes. maintenence support, maybe, for the length of the actual divorce.

the chances of his doing the same to the child you share, almost 9 out of ten.
How long was the marriage? Im sorry I can't remember but if it was short term then I agree with the other posters. I received Alimony though from my first husband and the marriage was only 2.5 years long. The ONLY reason though is he did not file a response saying no way and he didn't show up for the divorce being finalized.

TinkerBelleLuvr

She could "reserve" child support for a limited amount of time in order for him to get a job. I recommend the time limit because when I went in to get my order changed from "reserved" to an order, I needed a change of circumstances to get it to happen.

If he were to fight you for primary custody and win, then yes, you would have to pay child support.

I think that alimony is very unlikely considering the fact that your marriage has been very short term.

I honestly don't see him fighting you for custody, but you could perhaps negotiate in mediation (you likely will get ordered to mediation) to put child support "on reserve" to make it less likely that he would fight you for custody.
You know you won't be able to collect any child support from him, so its not like you would be losing out on anything...in the short term anyway.

He is already going to be having problems with Kim, since you won't be paying his child support for that child any longer.

Sad to say he has not visited with his child since ours cam into the picture...I've been horrible by adding to that drama....but he also didn't initiate the visits either and child support stopped completely for his first child because I had to take care of us all, I couldn't do it all. I'm sorry any of this ever happened.

Just Blue

Perhaps I am wrong...But I really thing that sm4e isn't in the process of a divorce. This is just her way of getting information because she knows that the majority of us won't help her hubby.

Perhaps I am wrong...But I really thing that sm4e isn't in the process of a divorce. This is just her way of getting information because she knows that the majority of us won't help her hubby.
I'm sorry you feel this way but I'm in the process of my foot being in my mouth from not listening in the first place. I have no reason to LIE about a divorce from the man I was SO IN LOVE with..... but thanks anyway for your help

Isis1

I'm sorry you feel this way but I'm in the process of my foot being in my mouth from not listening in the first place. I have no reason to LIE about a divorce from the man I was SO IN LOVE with..... but thanks anyway for your help
i have to be honest, i'm a little leaning toward Blue Meanie myself.

you have given no one here any reason to trust you. so be prepared for a lot of mistrust.

LdiJ

i have to be honest, i'm a little leaning toward Blue Meanie myself.

you have given no one here any reason to trust you. so be prepared for a lot of mistrust.
I am not...because I cannot see how she could benefit from coming here with this set of facts if she wasn't divorcing dad.

Its not like he would benefit in any way from a divorce...he hasn't been working anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">