• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on special assessments and deed restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

0UTSIDER

What is the name of your state? Michigan. I have asked some questions about this on here before. Here is my next question. The village I live in is working on bringing in a municipal sewer system. They are using a special assessment roll instead of a poll vote for people to decide if it will happen. The roll gives people with more property, more votes, because they have a higher stake in the decision. My question is, is it legal for the village to give a man with 80 buildable lots 80 votes, and then offer him a deed restriction that lets him restrict his property to only one hookup, and therefore only one assessment? It seems to me that the deed restrictions should be applied for first. If somebody restricts his property to only one hookup, he really has no higher stake in the matter then a single family home owner. It is looking like the village has enough major landholders voting yes, because they offered them deed restrictions, to pass the vote regardless of how the rest of the village residents vote.

S

seniorjudge

The way the sewer district is doing this is the normal way it is usually done.

Run for the board of the district; political power is great!

HomeGuru

0UTSIDER said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan. I have asked some questions about this on here before. Here is my next question. The village I live in is working on bringing in a municipal sewer system. They are using a special assessment roll instead of a poll vote for people to decide if it will happen. The roll gives people with more property, more votes, because they have a higher stake in the decision. My question is, is it legal for the village to give a man with 80 buildable lots 80 votes, and then offer him a deed restriction that lets him restrict his property to only one hookup, and therefore only one assessment? It seems to me that the deed restrictions should be applied for first. If somebody restricts his property to only one hookup, he really has no higher stake in the matter then a single family home owner. It is looking like the village has enough major landholders voting yes, because they offered them deed restrictions, to pass the vote regardless of how the rest of the village residents vote.

**A: reeks of dirty politics.

0UTSIDER

Does anybody know of an authority that can answer this question? I tried the state attorney generals office, but they couldn't answer. There must be some place this can be questioned without having to hire an attorney. (I hope)
Thanks for the replies. -OUTSIDER-

HomeGuru

0UTSIDER said:
Does anybody know of an authority that can answer this question? I tried the state attorney generals office, but they couldn't answer. There must be some place this can be questioned without having to hire an attorney. (I hope)
Thanks for the replies. -OUTSIDER-

**A: Mayor and City Council office or similar political higher ups.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">