• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question/proposal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I have a great parenting plan, for joint legal custody provisions, in my court order. Its three pages. I am sure others have great one's too, or additions, etc. I have wondered if it would be helpful to share it with a senior(s) and others, if they think its good enough, would be helpful enough to post it as a general permanent post...(not attached to my case, but generic).

I see lots of questions and conflicts from parents in legal battles who have not much of a parenting plan, and wonder if it would simply help people. It involves issues such as communication around school, medical appts, phone contact, transportation, etc. Of course if a parent likes it, it could be copied by them and dealt with by their attorney, and presented to the others' attorney and then the judge for approval.

When my (ex) attorney presented it to my ex's attorney, everyone loved it, and it has been very helpful.

Just curious, if any interest, I could post it to someone's whatever you call it...personal message to be reviewed. Or, I could go ahead and type it out here, or whatever people think might be helpful.

Thanks, MichaCA

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a great parenting plan, for joint legal custody provisions, in my court order. Its three pages. I am sure others have great one's too, or additions, etc. I have wondered if it would be helpful to share it with a senior(s) and others, if they think its good enough, would be helpful enough to post it as a general permanent post...(not attached to my case, but generic).

I see lots of questions and conflicts from parents in legal battles who have not much of a parenting plan, and wonder if it would simply help people. It involves issues such as communication around school, medical appts, phone contact, transportation, etc. Of course if a parent likes it, it could be copied by them and dealt with by their attorney, and presented to the others' attorney and then the judge for approval.

When my (ex) attorney presented it to my ex's attorney, everyone loved it, and it has been very helpful.

Just curious, if any interest, I could post it to someone's whatever you call it...personal message to be reviewed. Or, I could go ahead and type it out here, or whatever people think might be helpful.

Thanks, MichaCA
Your entire parenting plan is 3 pages? Good grief.

sipa

Thanks, MichaCA
Micha it's because of people like you and this board that Hubby has broke down and hired an attorney.

His current order just states, visitation days, her childsupport which has never been paid, him being resp for medical insurance and day care.

I suggest to anyone going through a divorce that you take Micha up on the offer and get everything addressed before it is an issue...this way it is one trip to court not 50!

When we get our out of state I am sure hubby will offer the same

penelope10

Your entire parenting plan is 3 pages? Good grief.
Just thought I would put this in--I think often we don't read the quotes under someone's posts. (Like OG's) Here is the best advice ever IMO, and it doesn't have anything to do with what is formally in orders. (However, it is generous of the OP to offer to share his order since it is working for he and his ex).

"Parents should remember two things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex (or soon to be ex) and when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death parts you."

Last edited:

LdiJ

The Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines are really excellent in that respect too. There are lots of commentaries on parenting in general and the guidelines are very specific. I refer people to those a lot to see just how comprehensive a parenting plan can be...and to get ideas regarding what kind of things they should address.

If you google Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines they pop right up.

MichaCA

Good tip LdiJ,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have pages of court orders, no doubt, specifically for our case. The parenting plan I was proposing is three pages, and its specifically for basics covered when parents have JOINT LEGAL custody. Its an addendum to our court order, we both agreed to it, so its stuck at the back of our court order, and signed along with everything else.

Just thought I'd give it a shot.

wileybunch

Good tip LdiJ,

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I have pages of court orders, no doubt, specifically for our case. The parenting plan I was proposing is three pages, and its specifically for basics covered when parents have JOINT LEGAL custody. Its an addendum to our court order, we both agreed to it, so its stuck at the back of our court order, and signed along with everything else.

Just thought I'd give it a shot.
A model parenting plan ie. one that needs to account for all the details needed would take more than 3 pages is the thing, though. And, I agree that the Indiana one Ldij pointed to is quite good because it covers so many bases and things people often forget until the situation comes up.

LdiJ

A model parenting plan ie. one that needs to account for all the details needed would take more than 3 pages is the thing, though. And, I agree that the Indiana one Ldij pointed to is quite good because it covers so many bases and things people often forget until the situation comes up.
They are not perfect, because they have some poor timeshare issues about Christmas and Easter/Spring break (bad assumptions about school holidays)...but its fair because the poor timeshare issues rotate yearly.

Our Supreme court actually put together a task force to come up with the guidelines and then signed off on them.

Our judges use them religiously. Even if they deviate from them on specific issues they still order that the guidelines rule in all other aspects.

waikoloan

Micha pointed me towards SPARC and their sample plans and I found them quite helpful. I had never seen a parenting plan before. I will look at LdJ's suggestion now too.

I would like to see Micha's plan that works, but I'm not a senior.

In hindsight, I'm amazed that my ex and I never had a hassle over exchanging kids or custody. We had a very simple philosophy of never denying the other parent their children. My ex was not reasonable, or organized, or disclipined enough where he could have managed a timetable, so I'm actually glad we didn't have one ordered by the court, as we would have lived in court if I'd insisted on having it followed. (We never went to court beyond the divorce, and he didn't appear.)

It amazes me all the nitpicking that goes on between parents that I read about here. I cans see why 30 page plans are required when people are at war ... it is such a shame. I also see how plans can help control the bickering and chaos, now that my son is trying to put one together.

Thanks from me for the offer and all the help, Micha. :)

sipa

[QUOTE=waikoloan;2233540]Micha pointed me towards SPARC and their sample plans and I found them quite helpful. I had never seen a parenting plan before. I will look at LdJ's suggestion now too.
I would like to see Micha's plan that works, but I'm not a senior.

I used Sparc for the first time last week, they have a great long distance plan in there for visitation, especially when it comes to specifics on paying for plan fare, pick up and drop off airports being stated in the court order ect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">