• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question re: business license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PASS

What is the name of your state? CA

I work as a locum tenens physician and live in San Jose. I work in different places in the South Bay area. Do I need to get a business license for where I live or all the different areas/towns in Santa Clara County , since I am considered self-employed?

Thanks.

tranquility

Officially, you need to look at the business license requirements of each area you do work in. Generally, each would require a license in your situation. We have clients who have trucks painted with logos, phone numbers and whatnot *drive* through cities and the city sends a letter requesting payment for a license. Their theory is that when they saw the truck in the city they must have been working there. We deny it and explain the worker was just driving through, but if there was a job in the city we submit and buy a license.

Cities in California often look at schedule "C"s and "E"s from the state to find out those who are doing business in their city. If there is no address on the particular form, they use the taxpayer address as the place of business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">