• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Serving Paperwork & Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddy1980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

ok so alot of you here are familiar with my cuurent situation and i have another couple questions here.

#1 I filed a proposed temporary parenting plan last friday at the courthouse and they stampled both my copy and my ex's copy and stated i needed to get her served with her copy.

So i got with a legal service here in town and gave them my paperwork to have them go serve her tonight and well the address she has on the court paperwork as her residence is her parents house which as far as i know thats where she lives well the server went to her house tonight to serve her and her dad told the guy she doesnt actually live there and she lives in an apartment on the other side of town and he stated he didnt know what address or appt # (so the guy couldnt get her served) so he left his card with her dad and told him when he talks to her please have her give him a call so they can meet (at that point he can serve her) so at this point does he need to try to serve her at her work?

#2 Dont i have the right as the legal father to know the address where my daughter is living? will that look bad on her at court that she didnt let me know when and where she was moving with our daughter?

#3 If she is living with her new boyfriend just 4 months after we broke up and our daughter being just 8 months old will that affect the custody at all? (will any of these things help my case or hurt her case?

Is it really in our daughters best interest for her father to not know where she lives and to have mother living with new man allready?

What do i need to do at this point? court is in a week and i dont know if i need to go to the courts and let them know whats going on and see what they suggest or what?

And should i bring this all up in court next week as these things not being in our daughters best interest?

As always any and all help appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

ok so alot of you here are familiar with my cuurent situation and i have another couple questions here.

#1 I filed a proposed temporary parenting plan last friday at the courthouse and they stampled both my copy and my ex's copy and stated i needed to get her served with her copy.

So i got with a legal service here in town and gave them my paperwork to have them go serve her tonight and well the address she has on the court paperwork as her residence is her parents house which as far as i know thats where she lives well the server went to her house tonight to serve her and her dad told the guy she doesnt actually live there and she lives in an apartment on the other side of town and he stated he didnt know what address or appt # (so the guy couldnt get her served) so he left his card with her dad and told him when he talks to her please have her give him a call so they can meet (at that point he can serve her) so at this point does he need to try to serve her at her work?

#2 Dont i have the right as the legal father to know the address where my daughter is living? will that look bad on her at court that she didnt let me know when and where she was moving with our daughter?

#3 If she is living with her new boyfriend just 4 months after we broke up and our daughter being just 8 months old will that affect the custody at all? (will any of these things help my case or hurt her case?

Is it really in our daughters best interest for her father to not know where she lives and to have mother living with new man allready?

What do i need to do at this point? court is in a week and i dont know if i need to go to the courts and let them know whats going on and see what they suggest or what?

And should i bring this all up in court next week as these things not being in our daughters best interest?

As always any and all help appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
i haven't read your history yet (the coffee isn't done), so my response is based on this post only.

mom having a boyfriend since she isn't with you, isn't going to matter. so bringing it up, only looks silly for you.

now, if mom moved, then all mom has to do is file a change of address with the court. it's actually quite simple.

how is mom moving affecting your visitation?

daddy1980

ok

I understand that mom having a b/f doesnt matter but what if mom is allready living with new b/f? i mean is that really in our daughters best interest so soon?

Her moving isnt affecting my visits.

I just need to get her served but without new address i cant. i think i will head down to the court in a few minutes here and see if they have new address for her.

Dont i have the right to know when/where my baby moves or lives?

Isis1

I understand that mom having a b/f doesnt matter but what if mom is allready living with new b/f? i mean is that really in our daughters best interest so soon?

Her moving isnt affecting my visits.

I just need to get her served but without new address i cant. i think i will head down to the court in a few minutes here and see if they have new address for her.

Dont i have the right to know when/where my baby moves or lives?
yes. you request mom file a change of address.

daddy1980

Served

Well my server got her served last night.

I went to the court clerk office and they told me i had to file for a request to reveal her new address and i could also ask in my request to ask who else resides with her.

Court clerk also stated i could ask in court for address and who resides with her but sometimes if its not the reason we are in court she said the judge might tell me i need to file for the request and come back to court for it since thats not the reason we are in court at that time (True?)

Also i was wondering if i choose to ask her to reveal address and who resides with her do i have the right to get a background check done on whoever is living with her? i wanna make sure our daughter is safe ya know?

One last thing if her new b/f isnt living with her do i have the right to get his name revealed and have background check done on him?

CourtClerk

How long between the time you met mom and you slept with her? Didn't matter back then, did it?

daddy1980

How long between the time you met mom and you slept with her? Didn't matter back then, did it?
Actually it was quite a while before we slept with each other after we started dating.

And what do you mean it didnt matter back then?

What does that actally have to do with me wanting to know if mom is living with or dating a possible child predator? i just want to know my daughter is in good hands and safe like any good parent would.

daddy1980

No, you don't have that inherent right
I dont have the inherent right to know if my baby is living with and being babysat by a possible child predator really?

I would have no problem telling her if i was living with a new women and she could freely do a background check on her i would have no issue with that at all.

Everything i have read online states after a divorce or during a child cutody battle one of the things a parent should not do is move right in with a new lover as it isnt good for the child

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I dont have the inherent right to know if my baby is living with and being babysat by a possible child predator really?

I would have no problem telling her if i was living with a new women and she could freely do a background check on her i would have no issue with that at all.

Everything i have read online states after a divorce or during a child cutody battle one of the things a parent should not do is move right in with a new lover as it isnt good for the child
You were not married hence this is not a divorce and mom is considered sole legal custodian at this juncture unless court orders say otherwise. That lack of non-marriage before shacking up wasn't an issue for you when you were with her. And you do not have the inherent right to know who your ex is living with. She is considered fit and able to make decisions regarding who is with her child until proven otherwise. You could voluntarily tell her if you move in with a new person but you are not legally required to do so.

daddy1980

You were not married hence this is not a divorce and mom is considered sole legal custodian at this juncture unless court orders say otherwise. That lack of non-marriage before shacking up wasn't an issue for you when you were with her. And you do not have the inherent right to know who your ex is living with. She is considered fit and able to make decisions regarding who is with her child until proven otherwise. You could voluntarily tell her if you move in with a new person but you are not legally required to do so.

So would things be differant if we had shared legal custody?

daddy1980

Nope. Even if you had sole custody she would not be required to tell you the names of everyone she brought around the child so you could do a background check.
Then i wonder why both the family law attorney i talked to and the court clerk both told me i have the right to know who resides at her residence?

I wish i wasnt so confused lol

The attorney i talked to she told me i should find out who he is and do a background check on him but maybe that was just her suggestion not *LEGAL ADVICE*

The reason the whole b/f came up in my 30 minute consultation with lawyer was because the ex was having her b/f watch baby on *MY COURT ORDERED VISITATION TIMES

Well im gonna just go to court next week and hope all goes well and judge hopefully will accept my progressive plan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">