• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question regarding transportation of children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rene S

What is the name of your state? Oregon
I live in Oregon and have custody of my two children ages 13 and 15 (boys) the 15 year old has ADHD and other developmental problems so his maturity level is more of a 13 year old. The 13 year old is one of those kids that thinks he knows everything and is always pushing the limits of what he can do which worries me quiet often. The reason I mention this is that their father lives in Texas and wants visitation this comming summer and plans on having them take greyhound bus from Oregon to Texas. This is almost a 2 day trip and I'm sure many stops and even at least one bus change during the trip. I've talked to the people at grey hound and they say because one of the kids is 15 they can travel by bus but the don't highly recommend it. My income is very limited but I have offered to drive the kids to Portland and try and pay some of the cost to fly the kids but the ex is adament about busing them. He says he will send them food money and a cell phone. Am I just being too over protective of them or am I right to be concerend and if so do I have any legal rights on how they travel? He's planning on buying the tickets in Jan.

Thank you for any help you can give me
Rene S

LdiJ

Rene S said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon
I live in Oregon and have custody of my two children ages 13 and 15 (boys) the 15 year old has ADHD and other developmental problems so his maturity level is more of a 13 year old. The 13 year old is one of those kids that thinks he knows everything and is always pushing the limits of what he can do which worries me quiet often. The reason I mention this is that their father lives in Texas and wants visitation this comming summer and plans on having them take greyhound bus from Oregon to Texas. This is almost a 2 day trip and I'm sure many stops and even at least one bus change during the trip. I've talked to the people at grey hound and they say because one of the kids is 15 they can travel by bus but the don't highly recommend it. My income is very limited but I have offered to drive the kids to Portland and try and pay some of the cost to fly the kids but the ex is adament about busing them. He says he will send them food money and a cell phone. Am I just being too over protective of them or am I right to be concerend and if so do I have any legal rights on how they travel? He's planning on buying the tickets in Jan.

Thank you for any help you can give me
Rene S
I think that under the circumstances their father is making a very poor choice, however I am not sure that there is anything that you can do about it. If your state has jursidiction then you can certainly file a motion with the courts asking that he be restrained from making travel arrangements that include unsupervised bus travel. A judge might be willing to order that under the circumstances. A two day unsupervised trip for two very young teenagers is a recipe for disaster.

It also appears that dad is responsible for the travel costs. Why don't you research how much the bus costs round trip for the two of them, and then do some searching for low cost air fare? Even make a reservation if you find a really good deal. It could be that the price differential wouldn't be that high or that dad would change his mind if you offer to pay the difference.

Rene S

thank you

Oregon

Thank you for the reply, I'm going to check into my divorce papers and with legal aid about this. :) Sorry to take so long in replying back, my computer had a virus and I had to reinstall windows.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">