• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candi4687

Tennessee,
Sorry to post this again but apparently no one views the other one.

On a letter of intent to move must the notice be notarized to be legal??????

casa

candi4687 said:
Tennessee,
Sorry to post this again but apparently no one views the other one.

On a letter of intent to move must the notice be notarized to be legal??????
What does your court order say? What do the laws re;move-aways in TN say?

candi4687

In my decree it states:
"The following provisions apply to the schedules or residential considerations of the children.
___N/A____ "

This is what the law states:
"MOVEAWAY LAW
Tenn. Code Ann.§ 36-6-108 Parental relocation. - (a) If a parent who is spending intervals of time with a child desires to relocate outside the state or more than one hundred (100) miles from the other parent within the state, the relocating parent shall send a notice to the other parent at the other parent's last known address by registered or certified mail. Unless excused by the court for exigent circumstances, the notice shall be mailed not later than sixty (60) days prior to the move. The notice shall contain the following:
(1) statement of intent to move;
(2) location of proposed new residence;
(3) reasons for proposed relocation; and
(4) statement that the other parent may file a petition in opposition to the move within thirty (30) days of receipt of the notice."

Thats the main part at least. Need more I can and will post the site where I found this "law".

casa

candi4687 said:
In my decree it states:
"The following provisions apply to the schedules or residential considerations of the children.
___N/A____ "

This is what the law states:
"MOVEAWAY LAW
Tenn. Code Ann.§ 36-6-108 Parental relocation. - (a) If a parent who is spending intervals of time with a child desires to relocate outside the state or more than one hundred (100) miles from the other parent within the state, the relocating parent shall send a notice to the other parent at the other parent's last known address by registered or certified mail. Unless excused by the court for exigent circumstances, the notice shall be mailed not later than sixty (60) days prior to the move. The notice shall contain the following:
(1) statement of intent to move;
(2) location of proposed new residence;
(3) reasons for proposed relocation; and
(4) statement that the other parent may file a petition in opposition to the move within thirty (30) days of receipt of the notice."

Thats the main part at least. Need more I can and will post the site where I found this "law".
A site you found the law means nothing- The only thing that matters is what your decree states (In it's ENTIRETY). If it says you must use registered or certified mail- than that's what you should use. If any of the portion of the decree you left out states it needs to be notarized, the X is right. If the portion left out does NOT state it needs to be notarized, the X is blowing smoke.

candi4687

Thats just it though. This is not stated at all in my divorce. It just says N/A. I found out about this law after I had moved and I went to court and a judge threatened to take my kids away for not following this "law". I in return sent the letter of intent to move by certified mail and now my EX CLAIMS he talked to a lawyer and they told him SUPPOSEDLY that since it was not notarized that it was not legal. I have even contacted the court house in the town I used to live in about this law and they are dumbfounded by the issue itself. I guess they thought people fell off the earth once they left that town. I DUNNO

Move on...

Candi:

Hi, again. Notarized...right.

You sent the letter...that's the right thing to have done. Ex had the appropriate amount of time to petition the move (even though you had already moved.) Ex did nothing. You moved. Move on.

If I were you, I wouldn't argue the issue with the ex. Maintain contact and assist with visitation (as you said that you do already.) Document all of your communication with the ex and keep records.

You made a mistake (moved before notifying.) But, you tried to do the right thing (notified as posted) and the ex sat on his hands.

Hope you like your new home. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">