• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJenkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Years ago, by the branch managers instructions, my cousin was added to my joint account in case they needed emergency funds(was denied using the debit card I had left). He, nor I realized this would turn my account into a "joint" checking account. He has never deposited funds in the account. 3+ years pass and he overdrew his checking account unbeknownst to me.

Without warning, they withdrew the amount of money out of that account which caused me to be overdraft. The amount that was needed to cover my cousins checking account debt was ~145 dollars and the overdraft fees amounted to ~200 dollars. Had I been warned that this was taking place, I could have easily moved some money around to cover the 145 and been hanging out by a thread. By charging me the extra fees- it has put it out of my reach to cover.

What my questions are..

1) "joint checking " account is -~350 . I have 1 personal account I use for savings and also a business account for a small company I started. Can they take from the business and the personal account if the monetary funds in both do not exceed 350 and are they even allowed to withdraw from the business account.

2) My ultimate goal is to either have my cousin deposit the funds to cover the account or I acquire the funds to make it even balance and close the account. What is the best way to accomplish this while giving me time to get the money. If they withdraw from my other accounts, it will only hinder getting back to positive.

The bank cant speak to me regarding his other checking account since I am not on it, yet they can just take money out of my account to offset it. I understand it's legal, but it's also not right for them to not notify me.

Any advise please? Also, I have never had a problem(Overdraft) with the "joint" , personal, or my business account that I am in charge of.. not sure if that matters.

Indiana Filer

Years ago, by the branch managers instructions, my cousin was added to my joint account in case they needed emergency funds(was denied using the debit card I had left). He, nor I realized this would turn my account into a "joint" checking account.
So you added him to the account to make him a joint owner of the account, but didn't realize that making him a joint owner of the account would make him a joint owner of the account? Is that right?

Last edited:

MrJenkins

[quote/]Years ago, by the branch managers instructions, my cousin was added to my joint account in case they needed emergency funds(was denied using the debit card I had left). He, nor I realized this would turn my account into a "joint" checking account.
So you added him to the account to make him a joint owner of the account, but didn't realize that making him a joint owner of the account would make him a joint owner of the account? Is that right?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have been more clear. My cousins name was added to my personal account. The branch manager instructed us to do this so he would no longer have any issues using my bank card should something came up that required more funds than what they had on him. We didn't realize this would make this a joint account in the aspects that the bank views it (i.e. the money in there is "both" of ours) compared to him just being an authorized user.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">