• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about changing custody of child in ok if child want to live with non cust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

But OG, as a paralegal, for 20 years I prepared all kinds of legal documents ALL the time... The last couple years, I used forms & amended them as needed. I answered and objected to discovery.... I prepared Everything - then I took it to the attorney, he or she signed it, then I walked across the street to the courthouse and filed it...

Isn't that the same thing?
I don't think so, because you were working for an attorney, and they controlled what you did.

jbowman

Specifically regarding this post though:

Are you sure?

This is how OK defines the Practice of Law:
the rendition of services requiring the knowledge and the application of legal principles and technique to serve the interests of another with his consent.

I'm not sure that filling out paperwork and taking it to the court house falls under "requiring the knowledge and application of legal principles".
Thats exactly what Im saying, Cjane. I dont believe that is correct.

mistoffolees

This is how OK defines the Practice of Law:
the rendition of services requiring the knowledge and the application of legal principles and technique to serve the interests of another with his consent.

I'm not sure that filling out paperwork and taking it to the court house falls under "requiring the knowledge and application of legal principles".
I think we don't know enough about what OP did to make that assessment.

If by 'filling out the paperwork' she means that she simply typed in the answers that the party gave her, then it is probably not the practice of law under OK rules.

OTOH, if by 'filling out the paperwork', she means that she wrote the answers and came up with all the wording used to file a response and told the party what to put down, it's borderline, at best.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But OG, as a paralegal, for 20 years I prepared all kinds of legal documents ALL the time... The last couple years, I used forms & amended them as needed. I answered and objected to discovery.... I prepared Everything - then I took it to the attorney, he or she signed it, then I walked across the street to the courthouse and filed it...

Isn't that the same thing?
No. You were working under the tutelage of a licensed attorney whose name most likely went on all of it.

CourtClerk

OG, I have a question about this. Is this just an OK thing or everywhere? I filed on behalf of someone that was indisposed. Just took the paperwork right down to the courthouse, had 3 copies, had them stamped, filed and there is was. They accepted it although I was not a party to the matter.
The mere dropping off of already prepared paperwork is not the problem (even in CA), because as you stated, ANYONE can drop off papers at the courthouse.

It's the drafting and preparation of such documents that is the issue.

jbowman

The mere dropping off of already prepared paperwork is not the problem (even in CA), because as you stated, ANYONE can drop off papers at the courthouse.
CC, in this portion of you post, you are referring to FILING. And this was what OG said, which is incorrect - at least in CA, thus my question.

YOU CANNOT FILE THE PAPERWORK. Are you an attorney? No? Then if you file you would be breaking the law. Hey but if you don't mind being a criminal, not our issue.

Lacerz

Oklahoma DHS offers fill in forms...

Oklahoma's Department of Human Services offers downloadable, fill in, forms that can be used by Pro Se filers for motions to modify in the district where the divorce was filed. The form includes instructions and a checklist that lists the requirements for filing. The OP stated that she "typed up" the motion, but I don't know if that means she drafted it from scratch or if she simply filled in the blanks on the DHS form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">