• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about "documenting"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

This is unrelated to my other post here...

I have questions about 'documenting' that everyone talks about. I never did it because I wasn't out to get my ex bf or anything, it never even crossed my mind.

I am curious - how does it help if it is just you writing things down on paper? Should you have it sent to yourself in the mail certified to show the specific date range? Or have it notarized? Couldn't someone simply make up stuff as they go along to present to a court later? What should be written down? Date, location, whatever happened, time, etc.? I'm just trying to figure out how it actually works as evidence in a court case. Is it considered evidence? What if you can't prove what you documented other than the documentation itself? Thank you for any info.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

this is how i understand the purpose of documentation.

personal notes are for yourself. so you can keep your story straight. it will come in handy when typing up motions and declarations.

other documentions such as police reports, sworn statements, school records, school reports, doctor reports, police records, criminal reports and actual official documentation are better for exhibits within your motions.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Don't bother having it notarized. A notarization doesn't confer any validity to the document. The sole purpose of notarization is to confirm the identity of the signatories.

LdiJ

Don't bother having it notarized. A notarization doesn't confer any validity to the document. The sole purpose of notarization is to confirm the identity of the signatories.
There are some advantages for notarization. It proves that the documenting happened at the time it happened, rather than being made up later.

I have one example that has nothing to do with family law, but its just to demonstrate my point. Tax professionals often recommend that people have their mileage logs notarized once a month, to help demonstrate that they are real mileage logs, and not something made up years later, to satisfy an IRS audit.

truebluemd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

This is unrelated to my other post here...

I have questions about 'documenting' that everyone talks about. I never did it because I wasn't out to get my ex bf or anything, it never even crossed my mind.

I am curious - how does it help if it is just you writing things down on paper? Should you have it sent to yourself in the mail certified to show the specific date range? Or have it notarized? Couldn't someone simply make up stuff as they go along to present to a court later? What should be written down? Date, location, whatever happened, time, etc.? I'm just trying to figure out how it actually works as evidence in a court case. Is it considered evidence? What if you can't prove what you documented other than the documentation itself? Thank you for any info.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In some cases it may help if you have to go to court and explain things so that you wont jump around. We cant remember every detail of every incident, but your personal notes help you give the details in case the judge asks. As soon as the judge finds youve contradicted yourself, then you lose credibility. Notes help to keep your story straight, but it is not necessarily evidence, because its still your word against his unless you have hard evidence. I note every little thing that occurs with my son's exchanges.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
this is how i understand the purpose of documentation.

personal notes are for yourself. so you can keep your story straight. it will come in handy when typing up motions and declarations.

other documentions such as police reports, sworn statements, school records, school reports, doctor reports, police records, criminal reports and actual official documentation are better for exhibits within your motions.
That is one purpose for documentation. Another purpose is so that you know who else was there and can be called as a witness to independently corroborate your story. Police reports are hearsay. All the other records you report are also hearsay HOWEVER they provide information that can be admissible depending on the knowledge the individual brings to the courtroom on whether it can be admitted. Sworn statements will NOT be admitted at all unless in a very specific circumstance. The individual who made the sworn statement needs to be available.

Humusluvr

Thank you everyone for your answers. I understand it now.
If you have trouble with a paper journal - you can also email yourself reminders of the events that go along with visitation. Then you remember who, what, and when things happened. And you have a date on it. You can then print or save the emails.

Or use a Google document so you have it online and can't lose it.

Or they sell Child Visitation Documentation software on the internet.

Or you can make an excel spreadsheet.

Or you can just write it down :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">