• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Question about GAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AkersTile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

GAL sent Dad a worksheet to fill out and send back to her. Mostly standard stuff (household members, drs, counselors, etc.), however it is also asking about Dad's families background, whether his parents are divorced, if any siblings have been divorced, when, why, etc.

Dad doesn't see why GAL needs that info, and also doesn't know the when's and why's of some of it.

Should he fill that part out anyway even with not knowing all the information and feeling uncomfortable with it?

TIA:)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

GAL sent Dad a worksheet to fill out and send back to her. Mostly standard stuff (household members, drs, counselors, etc.), however it is also asking about Dad's families background, whether his parents are divorced, if any siblings have been divorced, when, why, etc.

Dad doesn't see why GAL needs that info, and also doesn't know the when's and why's of some of it.

Should he fill that part out anyway even with not knowing all the information and feeling uncomfortable with it?

TIA:)
I have never needed all that information on ANY of my cases. It is not relevant. I would suggest he call the GAL and ask why she needs it and why it is relevant -- very politely. Make sure HE calls.

AkersTile

I have never needed all that information on ANY of my cases. It is not relevant. I would suggest he call the GAL and ask why she needs it and why it is relevant -- very politely. Make sure HE calls.
That's kinda what I thought, but wanted advice from here before telling him anything. I'll let him know to call her when I talk to him later. Thanks OG :)

ETA: I'm not talking to the GAL unless SHE initiates the contact with me. Uh-uh no way no how. Now if she decides that she would like to ask me questions, meet with me, whatever, I will gladly answer her questions (unless I don't know the answers). But that's it.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's kinda what I thought, but wanted advice from here before telling him anything. I'll let him know to call her when I talk to him later. Thanks OG :)

ETA: I'm not talking to the GAL unless SHE initiates the contact with me. Uh-uh no way no how. Now if she decides that she would like to ask me questions, meet with me, whatever, I will gladly answer her questions (unless I don't know the answers). But that's it.
this is not meant to be patronizing but GOOD GIRL! When a new wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/hubby calls me and they are legal strangers, I start bristling. Especially when they are the ones that CONTINUOUSLY call and the actual parent doesn't. That tends to lead me to believe that those are the individuals that are leading the charge so to speak. When it should be the parent.

Do I talk to the new wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/hubby? Yeah. I do. And if they live in the house I meet with them when I meet with the parent IF possible. I also do background checks on them IF they are involved with the child at all.

AkersTile

this is not meant to be patronizing but GOOD GIRL! When a new wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/hubby calls me and they are legal strangers, I start bristling. Especially when they are the ones that CONTINUOUSLY call and the actual parent doesn't. That tends to lead me to believe that those are the individuals that are leading the charge so to speak. When it should be the parent.

Do I talk to the new wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/hubby? Yeah. I do. And if they live in the house I meet with them when I meet with the parent IF possible. I also do background checks on them IF they are involved with the child at all.
Exactly! I'm not going to do anything that can be percieved as overstepping. The only time I've even communicated with Mom since she decided she didn't want to communicate with me anymore, was to let her know I was in an ambulance with Sissy because of her heart. And that was only because I didn't want her to find out from someone besides Dad or I (especially not facebook!). I figure the GAL will want to speak with me and I'm fine with that, but it will be on her terms and agenda, not mine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">