• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick question about summer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AkersTile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

SD13 has not been allowed to go to Mom's for visitation since Feb, per Mom. Dad texts Mom 2 days before each visitation to ask if kiddo will be allowed at her house this time, answer is always no. Dad has kiddo available for all visitation times, if that matters at all. She goes with Dad to all drop-offs, and with me to all pick-ups. Mom tells her each time that she is not going and she can get back in Dad's/my vehicle.

SD has asked both Mom and her counselor to do one on one counseling with Mom, separate from her counseling that she already does. Mom's response to that was enough that counselor does not want kiddo to have any contact with Mom, and counselor sent Mom's lawyer, Dad's lawyer, and GAL letters stating this (she had me sign a release to contact them regarding kiddo first).

SD would like to go to church camp this summer. It is for 6 days, during Dad's time. There is no cost for it, however Mom told Dad that she doesn't want kiddo doing ANYTHING this summer. Can Dad still allow kiddo to go to camp since it is during his time?

Also, kiddos are wanting to go on the road with Dad (I would be going too). We would be out of town from when we pick kiddos up on Sunday from Mom until the Friday that they are to go back to Mom for visitation each time. Dad will be notifying Mom of this prior to her visitation this weekend. Is there anything she could do to prevent it or is he ok since it is his time?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would suggest that Dad be the one posting here, and that way we can bypass the meddling stepparent.
We have all dealt with Akers for quite a long time. So I would suggest you go back and reread h/x. Really.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would let kiddo do the church camp. And go on the road trip.

Mom can pound sand. IMO.

frylover

Not legal advice, but Akers, it absolutely sucks that your poor SD has her mother telling her basically, "get back in the car, I don't want you at my house."

Poor kiddo! :-(

CJane

This is one of those rare cases when - if Mom has so consistently not exercised time, I wouldn't even worry about taking kiddo with to drop offs/pick ups. It's just harder on the kiddo than it needs to be.

AkersTile

Not legal advice, but Akers, it absolutely sucks that your poor SD has her mother telling her basically, "get back in the car, I don't want you at my house."

Poor kiddo! :-(
The sad part is that Mom has never even said it that nicely :( Generally there is name calling involved and not by the one who is supposed to be the CHILD. I have to say, for all that that kiddo in particular has been through (not that the others haven't been through stuff, but she has been through so much more), she is an amazing, strong, smart young woman and *I* am proud to say I'm her StepMom.

AkersTile

I would let kiddo do the church camp. And go on the road trip.

Mom can pound sand. IMO.
That's what I was thinking, but wanted to double check. I didn't think she could say what they could/couldn't do on Dad's time, within reason. And it's more spite on Mom's part than anything kiddo has actually done. Kiddo's the bad guy because she doesn't want Mom doing smoking pot around her or her siblings:confused::confused:

AkersTile

This is one of those rare cases when - if Mom has so consistently not exercised time, I wouldn't even worry about taking kiddo with to drop offs/pick ups. It's just harder on the kiddo than it needs to be.
Counselor doesn't want kiddo at pickups/dropoffs or having any contact with Mom. We're currently in an intense counseling program and counselor thinks it will be a setback each time kiddo does have contact with Mom due to what Mom says to her. Dad doesn't want to take the chance of losing custody of all of them, so he at least has kiddo available. He does stay right by kiddo if Mom is talking to her, which we both know can still be used against him, but he can at least stop the conversations before they get too out of hand.

AkersTile

We have all dealt with Akers for quite a long time. So I would suggest you go back and reread h/x. Really.
Thank you stealth. I know that y'all as a rule, do not generally deal with stepparents, and Dad and I both appreciate so much all the advice and help that we have recieved from this forum. I'm not perfect by any means, and there have been times when I was overstepping, but you guys called me out on it, and I fixed it. I will forever be grateful to the seniors here, for the help, advice, and support that I have recieved over the years. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">