• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quick Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GEORGIA

Hey all!! Hope everyone is doing well...I just had a quick question...

I talked to my son's 'father' a couple days ago after I got a text message from him saying 'I think I'm ready to claim my son.'

I talked to him for a bit in between times of him talking to his friends...anyway to make a long story short he made this comment, "You know that if I have myself straightened out that he's coming up here (which is in VA) for the summer....."

I'm pretty sure that's not possible this soon but wanted to make sure...

wileybunch

Summer sounds like an optimistic timeline to have things sorted out, but not entirely out of the realm of possibility, either, depends on things we don't have info for, but at a quick glance, it is a stretch to think THIS summer it would happen. But, it is in the future if things progress.

How old is child?
Are both of you acknowledging the child is his?
Is there DNA testing needed or in process at the moment?
Where do things stand with the court? Have you or Dad filed anything for paternity, custody, or visitation? If so, what and when?

my son was 1 year old on march 27th of last month...his father has never met him and said in the past that he didnt want him and i didn't pursue anything because i couldn't afford to to be honest and he said he wanted to sign over rights before so i was just waiting to do that, and then he changed his mind i guess...

Zephyr

my son was 1 year old on march 27th of last month...his father has never met him and said in the past that he didnt want him and i didn't pursue anything because i couldn't afford to to be honest and he said he wanted to sign over rights before so i was just waiting to do that, and then he changed his mind i guess...
what does the bold mean?

Zephyr

the only way he could get the child for time during the summer without your consent is through a court order- as we are halfway through april and paternity still needs to be established, it is highly unlikely- especially if you take the max time allowed for things- and other legal tools, that he will have any type of court order sooner than 6 months from now.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If and when the father gets his head out of his a**, and decides to file for paternity/ support/ parenting time, make sure that you ask for a graduated parenting schedule, particularly because:
his father has never met him
The father is dreaming if he thinks that he can waltz in and claim extended parenting time when the child has NO clue as to who this person is.

CJane

Remember that GA requires legitimation (legitimization?) in addition to paternity. I think that's something that HAS to be filed by Dad before he can gain visitation rights - paternity is ok for setting up support/etc.

If the guy has no money, no job, and lives states away w/his Mommy... my advice? Stop taking his phone calls. Stop conversing with him at all. If he wants to meet his son - ever - he can take the steps and jump through the hoops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">