• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rainex Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

allie2

I experienced Rainex damage to my front windshield, moon roof and rear windows. Rainex caused spots and dirt marks to be etched into the glass, impossible to remove. Glass must be replaced (I already replaced my front windshield once and it was damaged again, that's how I know damage was caused by Rainex). Total estimate to repair is over $7,000 but Rainex is only willing to reimburse me $1,000. Do I have any recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I experienced Rainex damage to my front windshield, moon roof and rear windows. Rainex caused spots and dirt marks to be etched into the glass, impossible to remove. Glass must be replaced (I already replaced my front windshield once and it was damaged again, that's how I know damage was caused by Rainex). Total estimate to repair is over $7,000 but Rainex is only willing to reimburse me $1,000. Do I have any recourse?
What US state?

I'm surprised they offered you anything since their product doesn't do what you say it does.

adjusterjack

A similar result has been reported on Amazon Reviews of the product. However, at least one person found a way to remove the spots without replacing glass.

Left SPOTS ALL OVER MY WINDSHIELD THAT WOULDNT COME OFF!! I used it as directed and it still left them everywhere!!! I went through a $20 car wash and that didn’t do anything!!!! I researched how to remove them (after using vinegar and dawn dish soap... And ANOTHER 2 glass cleaners that didn’t touch them!) Then I read somewhere that SOFT SCRUB and a scrubber takes them off... it did (for the most part) but I had to SCRUB for 45mins. Absolutely horrible!!!!
You might find other solutions if you read the 1 and 2 star reviews.

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Rain-X 5071268-2 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repellant, 23 oz. (Pack of 2) - Provides a Streak-Free Clean for Automotive Glass While Preventing Sleet, Snow, Ice, and Road Spray Build Up

There is also a possibility that your glass can be buffed to remove the defects without spending $7000.

If you can get $1000 from Rain-X as go away money, take it. Then figure out some other way of removing defects because I seriously doubt that you'll be winning a $7000 lawsuit any time soon.

car window glass buffing at DuckDuckGo

allie2

What US state?

I'm surprised they offered you anything since their product doesn't do what you say it does.
I'm in Pennsylvania. They admitted they have paid some claims due to this type of damage (some bad batches of the product), but damage was typically limited to the front windshield. In my case it destroyed the moon roof and rear window too. I've taken the car to professionals, the spots cannot be cleaned or buffed out - they are etched in the glass.

I already replaced my front windshield once, parked the car in the garage, the following day I used the windshield wipers to clean pollen off the windows which resulted in the new windshield being damaged. That's how I know it was caused by the Rainex (which I then drained and flushed from the system).

quincy

There was a class action lawsuit that was settled. The company has said that their products don’t work in certain vehicles because of the vehicle sensors.

allie2

Have you located any warranty? I've been all over the website but can't find one.

However, I did find a Safety Data Sheet for the product and the Disclaimer on the last page is significant.

800002242-800002243-80002245-800002250-Rain-X-Original-Glass-Treatment-10062021.pdf (itwgbrainx.wpenginepowered.com)

There is no warranty on the container.
The Rainex that caused the issue on my car (2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport) was the orange color All Season Rainex, 2 in 1.

I reviewed the document link, I believe it's related to the original Rainex, not the All Season, but regardless, can't say I understand much of it.

quincy

(2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport)
Thank you for providing that information. Rain-X does not include Hyundai’s on their list of vehicles that should not use their products.

You can use the small claims link to learn about filing a claim against the company - but I recommend you review the facts with an attorney in your area first. It doesn’t sound to me like the glass damages you are describing are the result of using Rain-X but the attorney you see might come to a different conclusion.

Or you could accept the $1000 offered, which might be the best you could hope for in a lawsuit anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">