• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlw99

Your advice was most certainly free, dlw, but what you posted was wrong.

It is one thing to answer a question about the law. It is quite another to answer it incorrectly. That benefits no one and can, in fact, be harmful to a poster.

The best advice to offer a poster is often to seek the advice of an attorney in their area or to rely on the advice of the attorney they already have.
My advice was not "wrong". You know what 2 party consent is. I defined it and added one condition under which it would not apply. Turns out there is an additional condition.

Everyone knows how to pick up the phone and call a lawyer. You might want to consider another hobby if all you think people need to hear from this site is "go talk to a lawyer".

Free Legal Advice by Quincy - Go speak with a lawyer. Great. Next!

You aren't helping anyone by stalking me around this site accusing me of lying about my accomplishments, making bad assumptions about my intentions and so forth.

Like I said - It's a new day. Knock it off.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are some situations that are beyond the scope of a message board to deal with. In those situations, the ONLY responsible advice is, Call a lawyer.

If the subject of the question already has a lawyer, as in this case, it would be irresponsible to second-guess him since the lawyer has far more detail than we could possibly have based on a paragraph or two.

If you can't see that, then you shouldn't be posting here. Period.

dlw99

There are some situations that are beyond the scope of a message board to deal with. In those situations, the ONLY responsible advice is, Call a lawyer.

If the subject of the question already has a lawyer, as in this case, it would be irresponsible to second-guess him since the lawyer has far more detail than we could possibly have based on a paragraph or two.

If you can't see that, then you shouldn't be posting here. Period.
What rot!

The poster is someone who wants to help a relative who has a lawyer who has let his client sit in jail for over a year without a trip to court.

Poster asked specific questions, one that could be answered by merely looking up wiretapping laws, and poster was told NOT TO TRY TO HELP!

Even guilty people deserve a trip to court.

Of course I told poster to get a lawyer. Sounds like the guy needs a better one - one who can get him to trial or work out a plea. It's been over a year. He has a right to a speedy trial.

Poster is obviously uncomfortable with the way relative's case is being handled. Why not second guess what some possibly lazy lawyer is doing? They call it practicing law for a reason.

When I'm not happy with the work any "professional" is doing for me, I fire them. I've gotten plenty of bad advice from lawyers. They are not gods, and neither are you.

Last edited:

dlw99

Your advice was most certainly free, dlw, but what you posted was wrong.

It is one thing to answer a question about the law. It is quite another to answer it incorrectly. That benefits no one and can, in fact, be harmful to a poster.

The best advice to offer a poster is often to seek the advice of an attorney in their area or to rely on the advice of the attorney they already have.

(You, dlw, were the one who claimed you were a "published and paid author on bullying," in the same post where you said your friend received a letter with anthrax in it and the government could not trace its source, so trying to trace an anonymous letter was futile - but, yes, I did assume it was a book. It was just an article on some website, then?)
Your advice to pass on the tv show turned out to be good, as it led to another opportunity, for which I was paid. Thanks.

You are making me uncomfortable because you express a lot of interest in my personal life. I will stop posting so much personal information from now on, and caution all posters to be careful about doing same.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So when you tell a poster to get a lawyer, it's okay; but if someone else tells them to get a lawyer, it's not? Why is that?

Geez, P, you couldn't even answer the question about the law? People don't come here for advice just to be told to go get a lawyer.

Of course I told poster to get a lawyer.

Both in the same thread, yet.

Last edited:

dlw99

So when you tell a poster to get a lawyer, it's okay; but if someone else tells them to get a lawyer, it's not? Why is that?

Geez, P, you couldn't even answer the question about the law? People don't come here for advice just to be told to go get a lawyer.
I didn't blow off poster's questions or tell poster not to help, or suggest that poster not consider questioning what appears to be a lazy attorney.

In addition to respectfully answering direct questions, I also suggested hiring an attorney, which was a direct answer to question #2.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Backpedal much?

I don't think anything else needs to be said here. You just blew what little credibility you had left. Which wasn't much, after your posts of the last few days.

dlw99

Backpedal much?

I don't think anything else needs to be said here. You just blew what little credibility you had left. Which wasn't much, after your posts of the last few days.
o.k., so I disagree with the assertion that the poster should not help relative in jail, and that the only advice he/she needs is to let some lazy attorney continue to allow said relative to rot in jail, so that blows my blogcred in your little club. Got it!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, what blows your cred is tearing someone else to shreds for telling the poster to do the same thing that you're telling them to do.

Have a nice day.

dlw99

No, what blows your cred is tearing someone else to shreds for telling the poster to do the same thing that you're telling them to do.

Have a nice day.
You too, and I'm serious. It's a beautiful day here, and I hope to get out and do some errands in the sunshine - away from all this negativity.

Hardly tore anyone to shreds. You guys aren't real great at handling criticism.

Poster asked three well-worded specific questions and the sole advice he was given was to get an attorney. Review his response. He wanted someone to answer his questions. That's why he came here.

CdwJava

Thanks, Java. Appears that victim's recording will be admissible, and quite damning for the defendant.

Still, he's been in jail for "over a year without a court date".

Might be time for him to assert his 6th amendment right.
Chances are he has been in jail for a year without a court date because the lawyers have been maneuvering. Motions and readiness conferences take time. I suspect he has waived time as a result of the machinations. It is not uncommon for serious felonies to go to trial over a year after arraignment. Heck, I know of misdemeanors that have dragged out as long. We have a DUI here that has taken a year and a half and still has not gone to trial!

The OP's questions have been answered to the best of our ability here. If he wants more detailed information, he will have to consult with his friend's attorney ... if said attorney will give him the time of day.

There is no need to continue this quibbling.

dlw99

Chances are he has been in jail for a year without a court date because the lawyers have been maneuvering. Motions and readiness conferences take time. I suspect he has waived time as a result of the machinations. It is not uncommon for serious felonies to go to trial over a year after arraignment. Heck, I know of misdemeanors that have dragged out as long. We have a DUI here that has taken a year and a half and still has not gone to trial!

The OP's questions have been answered to the best of our ability here. If he wants more detailed information, he will have to consult with his friend's attorney ... if said attorney will give him the time of day.

There is no need to continue this quibbling.
Thank you, CJ. We can only go on info from OP, which stated:

"He is being held without bail and has been there for over a year now without a court date."

Does that mean no pre-trial conferences or appearances of any kind, or does that mean no trial date?

Either way, relative could ask lawyer about defendant's 6th amendment right to a speedy trial, since it's been over a year, if, as you say, the lawyer will give him the time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">