• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rastafarianism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Does anyone know if Rastafarianism is recognized by the IRS as a religion?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
If you're asking because of the thread about the gentleman who has been told he won't be hired if he keeps his dreadlocks, I had the same train of thought you seem to be taking. I didn't see anything about IRS recognition, but I did find the following in the EEOC’s Compliance Manual Section on Religious Discrimination and I wonder if it negates the question of IRS recognition.

What is “religion” under Title VII?

Title VII protects all aspects of religious observance and practice as well as belief and defines religion very broadly for purposes of determining what the law covers. For purposes of Title VII, religion includes not only traditional, organized religions such as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, but also religious beliefs that are new, uncommon, not part of a formal church or sect, only subscribed to by a small number of people, or that seem illogical or unreasonable to others. An employee’s belief or practice can be “religious” under Title VII even if the employee is affiliated with a religious group that does not espouse or recognize that individual’s belief or practice, or if few – or no – other people adhere to it. Title VII’s protections also extend to those who are discriminated against or need accommodation because they profess no religious beliefs.

That's only an excerpt. It can be read in its entirety at:
Questions and Answers about Religious Discrimination in the Workplace

eerelations

Thanks! Yes, this is about that gentleman wit' de dreds. From your Title VII quote it looks like his prospective employer should be accommodating his dreds request. If he says next week that they refuse to accomodate his dreds, then I'll tell him about the Title VII bit you gave me (and thanks again!!!) and some other stuff.

(Though why they wouldn't be able to accommodate him is beyond me...if you had a candidate who was perfect in every way - skills, behaviour, qualifications, attire, except he had to wear a little bundle of knots at the back of his neck - big effing deal - wouldn't you hire him?)

I only asked about the IRS because in Canada, we HR people use the CRA's (Canadian version of the IRS) very generous religion classifications to determine which religions are accommodatable, and I thought it might be similar in the US. The Title VII stuff is 'way better though - and THANKS AGAIN!!!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
...if you had a candidate who was perfect in every way...except he had to wear a little bundle of knots at the back of his neck - big effing deal - wouldn't you hire him?)
Yes, I would. But I'm not surprised that some people--maybe a lot of people--wouldn't.

I'm almost completely ignorant about the Rastafari religion. When I hear "Rasta" the images that come to mind are whatever have been planted there by "documentaries" and SNL skits. In my own defense, my awareness of my ignorance would keep me from rushing to prejudiced judgement if I were in his prospective employer's position, but a lot of other people will immediately think "Black-Supremist anti-establishment ganja smoker who will have a shrine to Marcus Garvey in his cubicle and sacrifice live chickens in the conference room" and---next applicant, please.

I'm sure they consider his hairstyle on par with any other grooming issue, such as multi-colored mohawks and lip piercings, and I'm sure they asked him to get rid of his dreads because it just doesn't conform to the white collar corporate image. I wish I could see the looks on their faces when they hear the words "Rasta" and "religious accomodation".

Oh--and you're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">