• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RCWs please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
Could someone please tell me where to look for the laws for employer provided housing and the eviction process and rules for both the landlord/employer and the tenant/employee?
Need to know if there are any rules as to how much notice must be given to vacate.
Do I look in the RCWs, WACs, or would it be in L&I?

Thanks

tranquility

Please explain your situation a bit more. Are you a manager of an apartment complex? Are you a worker staying in employer dorms? What is happening?

Ibnatasha2u2

Please explain your situation a bit more. Are you a manager of an apartment complex? Are you a worker staying in employer dorms? What is happening?
Sorry it took so long for me to reply to your question. Technical difficulties, had to create new acct. cause I couldn't login. Anyway, here is the situation.
Type of employment is worker for a horse boarding facility.
Employer supplies a room in her home for an employee also full board for her horse. Employee is also paid a monthly cash wage.
Employee is injured on the job and is not able to return to work until released by doctor. Employer tells employee that she is suspended until dr. Releases her. Employer continues to provide housing for employee and for employee's horse at no charge but informs employee not the cash wages since she is unable to work.
Employee gets mad starts to talk bad about employer to other people in the horse community.
Employer tells employee she is letting her go. Gives her til the end of the month to move, employee is making no effort to find a place for her to move to for herself or her horse.
The only RCW employer can find as to the housing and any rules about eviction is Washington State Legislature
RCW 59.18.040
Living arrangements exempted from chapter.
The following living arrangements are not intended to be governed by the provisions of this chapter, unless established primarily to avoid its application, in which event the provisions of this chapter shall control:
(8) Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises.
[1989 c 342 � 3; 1973 1st ex.s. c 207 � 4.]

The employee has made it very hard for the employer to be comfortable in her own home. I guess what I'm wanting to know is can the employer tell the now ex-employee to move out immediately?

Thank you

LdiJ

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to your question. Technical difficulties, had to create new acct. cause I couldn't login. Anyway, here is the situation.
Type of employment is worker for a horse boarding facility.
Employer supplies a room in her home for an employee also full board for her horse. Employee is also paid a monthly cash wage.
Employee is injured on the job and is not able to return to work until released by doctor. Employer tells employee that she is suspended until dr. Releases her. Employer continues to provide housing for employee and for employee's horse at no charge but informs employee not the cash wages since she is unable to work.
Employee gets mad starts to talk bad about employer to other people in the horse community.
Employer tells employee she is letting her go. Gives her til the end of the month to move, employee is making no effort to find a place for her to move to for herself or her horse.
The only RCW employer can find as to the housing and any rules about eviction is Washington State Legislature
RCW 59.18.040
Living arrangements exempted from chapter.
The following living arrangements are not intended to be governed by the provisions of this chapter, unless established primarily to avoid its application, in which event the provisions of this chapter shall control:
(8) Occupancy by an employee of a landlord whose right to occupy is conditioned upon employment in or about the premises.
[1989 c 342 � 3; 1973 1st ex.s. c 207 � 4.]

The employee has made it very hard for the employer to be comfortable in her own home. I guess what I'm wanting to know is can the employer tell the now ex-employee to move out immediately?

Thank you
Was the employee injured on the job? Do you properly carry worker's compensation insurance to cover employees injured on the job? If you do not, or you have in any way hindered the employee from making a worker's comp claim then it may possibly have been unwise to discontinue the cash wage.

Ibnatasha2u2

Was the employee injured on the job? Do you properly carry worker's compensation insurance to cover employees injured on the job? If you do not, or you have in any way hindered the employee from making a worker's comp claim then it may possibly have been unwise to discontinue the cash wage.
Yes injured on the job. Yes insurance is provided. Employee has not filed a WC claim and as far as I know isn't planning to. Also she is contract labor, not actually an employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">