• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-Aging

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DOCK

What is the name of your state? Texas

A major retailer stopped mailing statemsnts after being informed of an address change. I called twice to see why and they stated that the phone number was changed and not the address. After this they still failed to send me statements. I informed them that I wouldn't make payments at their store as I was doing if I don't know what the balance is every month.

They sent my account to a collection agency (CA). I was paying them for awhile and they would not send me any documentation of the balance. They stated that the original creditor (Sears) should have continued to send statements and Sears states that since they turned it over to a CA they no longer would send statements which they were not doing anyway. Now the CA reports the account to the CRAs every month as a charge off to the credit reporting agency

Would this be considerd an attempt at re-aging and can they do this legally? Thanks!!

JETX

DOCK said:
Would this be considerd an attempt at re-aging
Based solely on your post, no. They can report your current status EVERY month if the CA wants to.... as long as it is accurate. Re-aging would be to start a NEW reporting clock on a previously established 'tradeline'.

Also, re-aging an account COULD be of benefit to a consumer who is trying to resolve his credit history. Read more on page 3 (2nd column) at:
http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/financial/2000/fil0040a.pdf

DOCK

I have a credit monitoring service which has alerted me to the CA reporting this account. I'll read the provided information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">