• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

re: agreement with collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhiannon10

re: agreement with collection agency

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Yes, I received a summons in an envelope at my place of work from a local collection agency. I contacted them and agreed to pay $50.00 a month and they didn't take me to court. But now I am finding that I can only pay half that amount, $25.00. Can they still get a judgement if I cannot pay the whole amount?

Proserpina

Yes, I received a summons in an envelope at my place of work from a local collection agency. I contacted them and agreed to pay $50.00 a month and they didn't take me to court. But now I am finding that I can only pay half that amount, $25.00. Can they still get a judgement if I cannot pay the whole amount?

Short answer: Yes.

racer72

If you check, you will likely find the CA already has a default judgment against you and when you fail to comply with your agreement, they will enforce the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">