• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? re non-refundable pet deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

earachefl, if you want to take this to court, be my guest. You will lose but it might teach you to next time read and suggest changes to the lease when you do not understand something. All of this could have been avoided by either not signing the lease in its present form, or asking that an amendment to the lease be made to specify for what (if anything) the 'deposit' would be used.
In researching some cases to see what turned up on this issue (none, as noted), I did learn that Florida is pretty strict when it comes to enforcing leases as written. Specifically, there was a 1998 case where the tentant knowingly signed a lease, despite their claim that part of it was illegible. The court held the legal principle of "too bad, so sad" applied and held them bound to it. (Baker v. Deigert, 724 So. 2d 634, if anyone cares). So, ignoring general contract principles, the little case law there is also supports BB's replies entirely.

fairisfair

it seems pretty easy to me. The word NON REFUNDABLE pretty much explains it. If it is NON REFUNDABLE, how can you assume that is would be used against damages? You aren't getting it back, it is a fee.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">