• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate - Family Land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHGUP

What is the name of your state? Reside in Arkansas, but the property is located in Virginia.

My Great-grandfather owned 80+ acres of land when he dies it was divided by his four children. When my grandmother died her 25% was divided by her 8 children. Now my cousin has gotten two of my great uncles to sign over ther portions to her (totalling 50%) plus since her mother has passed she has her portion (3.12%). I have just found out that since she has the majority of the land she has sold all of the land. Is this legal? What do I need to do to at least keep my mothers portion (3.12%)?

H

hexeliebe

No, it is not legal to sell the entire acreage. She can only sell her portion of the land.

The only way for the entire parcel to be sold is a Partition for Sale before a court when siblings and co-owners cannot agree on the disposition of the property.

In this matter, the court would then force a sale and divide up the proceeds according to ownership interest.

A Partition in Kind would be similar however, the land would be split according to ownership interest with each 'owner' now in possession of their own portion of the land.

Go to the County Recorder's Office and do a deed search to see what exactly was sold. The clerk there will be able to help you do a deed search.

HomeGuru

SHGUP said:
What is the name of your state? Reside in Arkansas, but the property is located in Virginia.

My Great-grandfather owned 80+ acres of land when he dies it was divided by his four children. When my grandmother died her 25% was divided by her 8 children. Now my cousin has gotten two of my great uncles to sign over ther portions to her (totalling 50%) plus since her mother has passed she has her portion (3.12%). I have just found out that since she has the majority of the land she has sold all of the land. Is this legal? What do I need to do to at least keep my mothers portion (3.12%)?
**A: you really need to research the probate records from the time of one 80 acre ownership.

SHGUP

Partition Suit

I have found out that a partition suit was done and the land has been sold, I have been out of the state in the military and was not aware of what was going on. From what I heard the land was sold for about $1000 per acre, which seems really low, is there anything I can do?

HomeGuru

Re: Partition Suit

SHGUP said:
I have found out that a partition suit was done and the land has been sold, I have been out of the state in the military and was not aware of what was going on. From what I heard the land was sold for about $1000 per acre, which seems really low, is there anything I can do?
**A: get copies of all the pertinent documents and review them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">