• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Realtor Leads Service Doesn't have refund policy, is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

I bought a realtor lead generating service from a company in California, I live in MD.
After trying the service for 3 weeks, I realized they didn't give me any leads in my county which I requested. So I decided to cancel the service and ask for a full refund. However when approach the service provider, the service provider said they don't have a refund policy. Is this legal?
I already dispute my credit card company to reverse the transaction and file a complain in BBB , and credit card company has reverse the transaction , most likely temporarily, but what is the proper way to get the money back?
Can I sue this California company in MD to get the money back? Will I file a complaint with CA attorney general and FTC to get the money back?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However when approach the service provider, the service provider said they don't have a refund policy. Is this legal?
Yes, absolutely. In fact, you weren't told that they don't have a refund policy. You were actually told that they have a policy of no refunds (which I am sure was clear in your agreement when you bought the service).

I already dispute my credit card company to reverse the transaction and file a complain in BBB , and credit card company has reverse the transaction , most likely temporarily, but what is the proper way to get the money back?
It's not entirely clear that you're due any money back.
Can I sue this California company in MD to get the money back?
You might be able to sue them in MD, but more information would be needed.
Will I file a complaint with CA attorney general and FTC to get the money back?
Based on what you've told us, there's nothing for either of those agencies to get involved with here.

How much money are we talking?

quincy

I bought a realtor lead generating service from a company in California, I live in MD.
After trying the service for 3 weeks, I realized they didn't give me any leads in my county which I requested. So I decided to cancel the service and ask for a full refund. However when approach the service provider, the service provider said they don't have a refund policy. Is this legal?
Can I sue this California company in MD to get the money back? Will I file a complaint with CA attorney general and FTC to get the money back?
The contract would need to be personally reviewed in its entirety to determine better if the company satisfied its promises.

zddoodah

the service provider said they don't have a refund policy. Is this legal?
Yes, of course it's legal. NO ONE is required by law to have a refund policy (although there are some situations (and this isn't one of them) where there are laws requiring refunds under some circumstances).

I already dispute my credit card company
On what basis? That you made a bad decision?

Seriously...what legal wrong do you think this company committed. You agreed to buy something that, after three weeks, you discovered was not something you could use. Why is that the company's fault and not yours?

Can I sue this California company in MD to get the money back?
Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but nothing you have posted suggests that you have any legal or factual basis to sue (or any basis to sue in MD instead of CA).

Will I file a complaint with CA attorney general and FTC to get the money back?
No one here has any idea what you will do, but you shouldn't waste these folks' time with this.

quantcook

Yes, absolutely. In fact, you weren't told that they don't have a refund policy. You were actually told that they have a policy of no refunds (which I am sure was clear in your agreement when you bought the service).

It's not entirely clear that you're due any money back.
You might be able to sue them in MD, but more information would be needed.
Based on what you've told us, there's nothing for either of those agencies to get involved with here.

How much money are we talking?
it's $1650.
the service company said that I will receive leads in my county but turn out I didn't receive any.
will this be enough to satisfy a breach of contract?
I know they are not required to have a refund policy, but that doesn't mean they don't owe anything if they don't deliver their service.
what info do you need to determine if I can sue them in MD?
thanks so much

quantcook

Yes, of course it's legal. NO ONE is required by law to have a refund policy (although there are some situations (and this isn't one of them) where there are laws requiring refunds under some circumstances).

On what basis? That you made a bad decision?

Seriously...what legal wrong do you think this company committed. You agreed to buy something that, after three weeks, you discovered was not something you could use. Why is that the company's fault and not yours?

not a bad decision, it's because they said that I'm going to receive leads in my county, but turn out I didn't receive any, so wasn't this clear a breach of contract?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but nothing you have posted suggests that you have any legal or factual basis to sue (or any basis to sue in MD instead of CA).

Since I live in MD, not CA, it doesn't make economic sense to travel to CA to sue them right? So what info does it need to determine if I can file a lawsuit in MD.

No one here has any idea what you will do, but you shouldn't waste these folks' time with this.

Zigner

it's $1650.
the service company said that I will receive leads in my county but turn out I didn't receive any.
There's no way anyone here can say for certain without actually reviewing the entire contract (don't upload it, contract review is beyond the scope of a legal forum).

It's quite likely that you'd need to sue in California, but you should at least have a sit-down with an attorney.

quincy

it's $1650.
I know they are not required to have a refund policy, but that doesn't mean they don't owe anything if they don't deliver their service.
thanks so much
The contract needs to be personally reviewed to determine if promises were made by the company that were not met. There possibly could be a legal action to consider under a consumer protection law (e.g., misrepresentation).

Although my previous post was reported for moderator review, I tried to make a point that was obviously missed. What you might consider a failure to satisfy the terms of the agreement might instead be simply your dissatisfaction in HOW the terms were satisfied.

quantcook

There's no way anyone here can say for certain without actually reviewing the entire contract (don't upload it, contract review is beyond the scope of a legal forum).

It's quite likely that you'd need to sue in California, but you should at least have a sit-down with an attorney.
wouldn't it be feasible to sue them in MD based on
Place of Contract Administration

quincy

i'm requesting the contract I signed but they didn't give me yet.
You didn’t get your own copy? That was a mistake. Have you checked online to see if there is a copy of the standard contract’s terms and conditions?

Before you think of suing, you should wait for the contract so you can determine better what exactly you agreed to. In the meantime, you might want to print off pages from, get screenshots of, the company’s website. You want to show any marketing claims that might have been made that exceed puffery.

Zigner

I have trouble understanding why people complain of a "breach of contract" when they don't even have a copy of the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">