• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

REASON FOR CASE DISMISSAL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMACHINEcc

I'm researching a case where 3 counts were dismissed for this reason: "dismissal in Furtherance of Justice per 1385 P.C." The charges were fairly serious. What are some reasons this would be used to justify dismissal?

Could it be that the defendant cooperated or gave something to the prosecution? Thanks.

quincy

I'm researching a case where 3 counts were dismissed for this reason: "dismissal in Furtherance of Justice per 1385 P.C." The charges were fairly serious. What are some reasons this would be used to justify dismissal?

Could it be that the defendant cooperated or gave something to the prosecution? Thanks.
What is the name of your state?

quincy

Following is a link to California’s Penal Code 1385, which is on dismissal of enhancements. The reasons for possible dismissals are listed.

https://casetext.com/statute/california-codes/california-penal-code/part-2-of-criminal-procedure/title-10-miscellaneous-proceedings/chapter-8-dismissal-of-the-action-for-want-of-prosecution-or-otherwise/section-1385-effective-until-112024-dismissal-of-enhancements

The link above shows the law that was in effect until January 1, 2024. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “next section” to read PC 1385 that went into effect on January 1, 2024.

Last edited:

THEMACHINEcc

thanks! Yeah, this happened in 1990 and interestingly, there's little paperwork about the charges, save for what I specified.

THEMACHINEcc

Interesting you say this, as I suspect the case involves a minor. There are no charges listed. All I have is a case number, name, charge statue and last disposition.

Tellingly, the individual was also arrested in the late 90s for solicitation of a minor but was not actually charged.

quincy

Interesting you say this, as I suspect the case involves a minor. There are no charges listed. All I have is a case number, name, charge statue and last disposition.

Tellingly, the individual was also arrested in the late 90s for solicitation of a minor but was not actually charged.
Interesting.

Well ... good luck with your research.

zddoodah

So...you're asking us to guess about the reason for the dismissal, nearly three and a half decades ago, of a case we know nothing about? What is your connection to this case? Did you read the statute?

LdiJ

"Dismissal in furtherance of justice" is kind of vague...and probably on purpose. I tend to view it as the judge believed that it was the right thing to do to dismiss the case, and therefore did so. As though there was some reason why the charge wasn't fair in the judge's eyes.

quincy

What is being dismissed are the enhancements that were added to increase the penalties for the crimes committed (i.e., a previous crime often will increase the penalty for a current crime). In some cases, these additional penalties were out of line with what was reasonable or justifiable. In the interest of justice, these enhancements can be dismissed. The penalties imposed for the underlying crimes are not being dismissed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there is little paperwork, it could be because the case involved a minor. What were the charges?
According to the section you posted, there would only be a record of the reasons if one side (or the other) asked that one be made. If neither side requested it, then no record of the reason(s) for the dismissal(s) would be made. This applies no matter the age of the defendant.

quincy

According to the section you posted, there would only be a record of the reasons if one side (or the other) asked that one be made. If neither side requested it, then no record of the reason(s) for the dismissal(s) would be made. This applies no matter the age of the defendant.
Right. Mine was only a guess. There is not enough information for anything but guesses. :)

darrenchaker

The phrase "In the interests of Justice" encompasses a variety of situations. This can include instances where a key witness is unavailable or unwilling to testify, a reassessment of the case due to the emergence of new evidence casting doubt on the defendant's involvement in the alleged offenses, or a request from the District Attorney (DA) following the suppression of evidence due to Fourth Amendment violations. For instance, if law enforcement seizes a firearm from the trunk of a car without consent or probable cause to search, leading to the suppression of the gun as evidence, the DA would be unable to pursue a case against the defendant for possession of a firearm by a felon. The possibilities are extensive.

The upside of getting the case dismissed is you can pursue record sealing for a case which did not result in dismissal under Penal Code section 851.91. This seals the public record, removes reference in background checks, but is still available to police. The CARE Act, found within the Penal Code sections 851.87 to 851.92, serves a crucial role akin to a Petition for Factual Innocence, albeit with a more accessible standard for individuals seeking to clear their records.

If you can prove there was no reason to have arrested you, then seeking destruction of all records may be pursued under Penal Code section 851.8. See People v. Bleich, supra, 178 Cal.App.4th at p. 300, 100 Cal.Rptr.3d 288 [factual innocence requires a showing that petitioner “was actually innocent and under no set of circumstances could be subjected to the criminal process.” Under this statute, unlike under section 851.91, police must also permanently seal then destroy (3 years post arrest) all records. The FBI will remove the arrest from your national criminal history profile (aka NCIC). The statute includes every conceivable record, including fingerprints. See People v. Christiansen, 230 Cal. App. 4th 178, 178 Cal. Rptr. 3d 396 (2014) “[F]ingerprint impressions obtained at time of arrest were part of arrest record and thus had to be destroyed after finding of factual innocence.”

Once you receive any form of relief, it is important to send a copy of the order to the major data brokers who index such information and resell it to individuals to potential employers. Data brokers typically do not look back to see what happens after an arrest, they simply index what the court reported at one point. Ultimately, the removal, deletion, or erasure of an individual's arrest record or a case dismissal from their criminal history eliminates the stigma associated with the presumption of wrongdoing simply because of the arrest itself. This action can significantly benefit individuals in their pursuit of employment and housing opportunities. Best to you in your efforts, Darren Chaker

quincy

darren, you probably should read/re-read the terms and conditions of use for this site. This forum is not a place to self-promote.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">