• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasons a 911 incoming call - "CAD" would be modified by another individual other than the original dispatcher who took the call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Would anyone have any factual knowledge of why an incoming 911 call - "CAD" would be modified by another individual other than the dispatcher who took the call, and does just anyone in the police station have the authority to modify a CAD?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would anyone have any factual knowledge of why an incoming 911 call - "CAD" would be modified by another individual other than the dispatcher who took the call, and does just anyone in the police station have the authority to modify a CAD?
What US state?
I don't believe we have anyone who posts on this board that has working knowledge of the 911 system. In any case, the best person to ask about this would be your defense attorney.

LdiJ

Since it wouldn't be possible for anyone to modify a phone call, what do you actually mean by "modify a CAD"? Are you talking about editing a recording of a phone call or something similar? Or do you mean something else?

quincy

One reason a call could be “modified” is for security. Information that is related to an “open” 911 call is also updated as more or different information becomes available.

For more than you probably want to know about law enforcement’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems, here is a link to a publication from the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance:

https://bja.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xyckuh186/files/media/document/leitsc_law_enforcement_cad_systems.pdf

Thank you Gentlemen, the State is Mass. Its a very old case so all that is available at the point is just a paper form that was typed out during or after the 911 call was received by the dispatcher, which I was told was a CAD.

There isn't any Defense attorney involved at this point, but after needing this CAD for another purpose, and then seeing the CAD for the first time, a lot of factual inaccuracies and lack of specific information that the police would need to find a suspect immediately popped out.

One reason a call could be “modified” is for security. Information that is related to an “open” 911 call is also updated as more or different information becomes available.

For more than you probably want to know about law enforcement’s Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems, here is a link to a publication from the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance:

https://bja.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xyckuh186/files/media/document/leitsc_law_enforcement_cad_systems.pdf
Thank you for the link, I'll be reading that asap.

zddoodah

Would anyone have any factual knowledge of why an incoming 911 call - "CAD" would be modified by another individual other than the dispatcher who took the call
I could probably sit here and list off several dozen hypothetical reasons, but I hardly see the point. If you're concerned with the specific reason for a specific incident, then inquire of the people involved in that incident.

does just anyone in the police station have the authority to modify a CAD?
Unlikely. However, there are nearly 20,000 police departments in the United States, and I can assure you that they don't all have the same policies.

quincy

Thank you Gentlemen, the State is Mass. Its a very old case so all that is available at the point is just a paper form that was typed out during or after the 911 call was received by the dispatcher, which I was told was a CAD.

There isn't any Defense attorney involved at this point, but after needing this CAD for another purpose, and then seeing the CAD for the first time, a lot of factual inaccuracies and lack of specific information that the police would need to find a suspect immediately popped out.
For what reason are you researching a very old case?

Basic incident data is transferred from CAD to an agency’s records section.

LdiJ

How do you know that it is inaccurate?

CavemanLawyer

CAD is the name of the system. The report is called an event report. Most of the info in an event report is generated automatically. Some of it is logged from the on board computer in the police vehicles, for example the time when officer responds to the scene. Some if it is computer transcribed, for example when an officer talks over the radio. Some of it is manually inputted by the dispatcher while they are taking the call. Its very common for there to be incorrect data in an event report since its relying on information arriving in real time, from humans which are fallible, and in an emergency situation no less.

Why do you think that the event report was changed after the fact? If there are factual errors that could just be the info that they were given at the time.

Zigner

What US state?
I don't believe we have anyone who posts on this board that has working knowledge of the 911 system.
CAD is the name of the system. The report is called an event report. Most of the info in an event report is generated automatically. Some of it is logged from the on board computer in the police vehicles, for example the time when officer responds to the scene. Some if it is computer transcribed, for example when an officer talks over the radio. Some of it is manually inputted by the dispatcher while they are taking the call. Its very common for there to be incorrect data in an event report since its relying on information arriving in real time, from humans which are fallible, and in an emergency situation no less.
I stand corrected.

This forum is exactly what I was hoping it would be, a great tool to build knowledge upon, very informative, thought inducing, and having reply's by very intelligent individuals who are bringing up great points and asking great questions on the subject. Thank you.

I shouldn't say too much about my particular situation, other than the Individual who made the 911 call was an off duty Dispatcher for the arresting Police Department, and the CAD which under my understanding at it's time in age of being created were 911 calls that were typed directly into the computer by the call taking dispatcher who ironically was a co worker of the actual caller.

The CAD specifically states there is a chase taking place "two kids being chased by the callers neighbor", yet there is no specific direction on the CAD and there is no specific physical descriptions of the "Kids" and it all took place in the daylight. (The person chasing the Kids did not return home to tell the caller it was kids he was chasing or any other information and there is no related CAD's for any other calls made in regards to this specific occurrence that happened).

The chase did in fact occur, I and a friend both saw a part of the foot chase/pursuit, and it was true that it was two Kids - both sixteen year olds - (who I recognized) being chased by a 25 year old from the neighborhood who I also recognized.

I myself at the time was 21 years old, and upon the identifying the suspect process the person who was chasing the kids should have easily recognized me as a neighbor of his not the Kids he was chasing. I was in visibly good shape and looking nothing like a kid and I also had an unmistakable identity and clothing on at the time, all of which was suppressed in court.

No specifics that any reasonable jury would expect to see on a CAD that was taken and established between the two professionals who know the procedure of details that must be taken during a 911 call is on the CAD, but yet five to eight Cruisers show up all at the same time in front of my location which while looking on a map was located north and at 2 o'clock to the crime scene on a map -my location was also three football fields away from the crime scene and on a different street.

As I stated, I and another individual saw the foot chase/pursuit and watched all the parties involved disappear out of sight and the next time the plaintiff is seen it is south of the crime scene, .7 miles south of my location of arrest and ironically he was feet away from the suspects residence, which also were all facts hidden or suppressed in court.

In regards to some of the great input and questions you all gave put in,

• Inquire the people involved in the specifics of the reason the CAD was modified - At this point I do hope to find the proper lawyer for this to be possible..the CAD reads that it was Modified by an Individual by an assigned number not a name, I have no ability to attain that answer by myself.

• All other records no longer exist - The reasons of why they don't exist is something that is being looked into at this very moment to see if that is true and if the destruction of the records was done under a legal process.

• I know that there are inaccuracies on the CAD through being a neighbor to all involved and knowing the vehicle make, model and color of the vehicles owned by the caller and of the person who was chasing the kids.

• The CAD which was the details told by the caller (off duty dispatcher) had the owner of the car that was being broken into being owned by the person who was chasing the kids, which wasn't true. He owned a Large Sedan and not a sports muscle car as stated on the CAD.

His vehicle color was drastically different in size, make and color than the vehicle that was actually broken into.. The caller would know all these facts, such as what type of car he owned. When the CAD was modified these facts were not fixed. The vin# on CAD matches the callers (off duty dispatcher) vehicle, color, make and year. which I had to pay damages for.

All incorrect facts in regards to what was on the CAD was not fixed when the CAD was later modified. So what actually was modified, added or subtracted on the CAD, why and by whom?

Last edited:

Zigner

All incorrect facts in regards to what was on the CAD was not fixed when the CAD was later modified. So what actually was modified, added or subtracted on the CAD, why and by whom?
What does it matter, really?

What does it matter, really?
Thanks for you input Zigner, I'm going to respectively decline to answer that.There is many life alter reasons. If one doesn't live or know the implications something like what I described can entail in ones life and their pursuit of happiness that we all have a right to have, there is nothing more I wish to add. Thank you though.

quincy

This forum is exactly what I was hoping it would be, a great tool to build knowledge upon, very informative, thought inducing, and having reply's by very intelligent individuals who are bringing up great points and asking great questions on the subject. Thank you.

I shouldn't say too much about my particular situation, other than the Individual who made the 911 call was an off duty Dispatcher for the arresting Police Department, and the CAD which under my understanding at it's time in age of being created were 911 calls that were typed directly into the computer by the call taking dispatcher who ironically was a co worker of the actual caller.

The CAD specifically states there is a chase taking place "two kids being chased by the callers neighbor", yet there is no specific direction on the CAD and there is no specific physical descriptions of the "Kids" and it all took place in the daylight. (The person chasing the Kids did not return home to tell the caller it was kids he was chasing or any other information and there is no related CAD's for any other calls made in regards to this specific occurrence that happened).

The chase did in fact occur, I and a friend both saw a part of the foot chase/pursuit, and it was true that it was two Kids - both sixteen year olds - (who I recognized) being chased by a 25 year old from the neighborhood who I also recognized.

I myself at the time was 21 years old, and upon the identifying the suspect process the person who was chasing the kids should have easily recognized me as a neighbor of his not the Kids he was chasing. I was in visibly good shape and looking nothing like a kid and I also had an unmistakable identity and clothing on at the time, all of which was suppressed in court.

No specifics that any reasonable jury would expect to see on a CAD that was taken and established between two professionals who know the procedure of details that must be taken during a 911 call is on the CAD, but yet five to eight Cruisers show up all at the same time in front of my location which while looking on a map was located north and at 2 o'clock to the crime scene on a map -my location was also three football fields away from the crime scene and on a different street.

As I stated, I and another individual saw the foot chase/pursuit and watched all the parties involved disappear out of sight and the next time the plaintiff is seen it is south of the crime scene, .7 miles south of my location of arrest and ironically he was feet away from the suspects residence, which also were all facts hidden or suppressed in court.

In regards to some of the great input and questions you all gave put in,

• Inquire the people involved in the specifics of the reason the CAD was modified - At this point I do hope to find the proper lawyer for this to be possible..the CAD reads that it was Modified by an Individual by an assigned number not a name, I have no ability to attain that answer by myself.

• All other records no longer exist - The reasons of why they don't exist is something that is being looked into at this very moment to see if that is true and if the destruction of the records was done under a legal process.

• I know that there are inaccuracies on the CAD through being a neighbor to all involved and knowing the vehicle make, model and color of the vehicles owned by the caller and of the person who was chasing the kids.

• The CAD which was the details told by the caller (off duty dispatcher) had the owner of the car that was being broken into being owned by the person who was chasing the kids, which wasn't true. He owned a Large Sedan and not a sports muscle car as stated on the CAD.

His vehicle color was drastically different in size, make and color than the vehicle that was actually broken into.. The caller would know all these facts, such as what type of car he owned. When the CAD was modified these facts were not fixed. The vin# on CAD matches the callers (off duty dispatcher) vehicle, color, make and year. which I had to pay damages for.

What is your interest in the police dispatches? What are you hoping to gain?

Why was your neighbor chasing the two teenagers? Were you and your friend arrested?

Was there any news coverage of the incident? You can often learn a lot about police activity from articles published about crimes responded to by the police.

As noted earlier by CavemanLawyer and as also outlined in the link provided earlier, incident data can come from various sources but it all eventually winds up in some form in the records section/division of the agency or agencies that received the initial calls/reports. The information from the computer aided dispatches (like street names, names and addresses of residents, relevant background information) and the data input manually by a dispatcher from the 911 call(s), and the recorded conversations from emergency responders, can be updated/edited as needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">