• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recently Married...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Virginia. I am recently married to a wife with assets (stocks, mut funds) in the 500K range. No kids (yet). She has a will that predates our marriage by 10 years which essentially give all of her estate to her brother. Question is: God forbid if something were to happen to her, would her bro still inherit the assests. Do we need to go through the expense of drawing up a new will(s), or will VA community property laws control the estate and pass it to me?

seniorjudge

Q: Do we need to go through the expense of drawing up a new will(s) and otherwise adequately plan our estate(s).

A: Yes. Yesterday is too late so hurry.

BTW, to my knowledge, you cannot disinherit your spouse in Virginia; but there would be one heck of a fight if she keels over tonight.

divgradcurl

Just to supplement SJ's response,

a) VA is not a community property state, it's a separate property state;

b) A will drawn up before a marriage is still a valid will, but the surviving spouse will be able to claim an intestate share of the estate if they are not in the will (they are a pretermitted spouse).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">