• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless in Northern Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VTHokieTBone7

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I got pulled over for 80 in a 55 in Northern Virginia. My story: I commute from Leesburg to Chantilly (roughly 20 miles, takes about 30 minutes in traffic). On this day, I was filling in for someone else at work (govt. contractor) and that required odd hours. Only got 4 hours of sleep, got the ticket a few minutes before 6am. Officer said I had a very good attitude about it all. I had a -4 point balance on my driving record. That means there is a previous speeding ticket that the points haven't gone away for. Anyways, I signed up for Driver Improvement Class and am taking it this weekend. Court date is end of April. I don't think there's any way of getting out of the reckless driving charge (unless someone thinks there is a chance), but I'd like to know ANYTHING I can do to get a reduced sentence? I don't want my license suspended because I need it to get to and from my job. There's not really any public transportation that will get me from my apartment to my office. What are my options? What could I be looking at?

I'm thinking my best bet is to ask for probation where I could drive to and from work but nothing else. Should I obtain legal counsel? Thanks in advance.

nikolaki

My friend get a lawyer. I also got a ticket yesterday in Illinois doing 100/55. He didn't give me reckless because he said I was anice guy but I have to go to court.

I'm getting myself a lawyer and paying whatever to get probation.

Good luck!!!

fedcop110

A -4 drivers point balance is more than one ticket that hasn't come off of your record yet. I would hire a reputable attorney. A good attorney may be able to downgrade it to a speeding conviction. Just to let you know, in VA a reckless driving charge is a class 1 misdemeanor punishable with up to 12 months in jail and a fine of up to $2500. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">