• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recommend Adoption forums, please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

semicolon

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Hi. :) I was hoping someone could recommend some good forums on the topic of adoption, with legal information, but also discussion and support? Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

Hi. :) I was hoping someone could recommend some good forums on the topic of adoption, with legal information, but also discussion and support? Thanks in advance.
**A: you are already on a good forum. Start posting.

nextwife

Older parent adoption?

Eastern European adoption?

Adoption from foster care?

Special needs adoption?

Country specific adoption sites?

Single parent adoption?

Large family and sibling group adoptions?

semicolon

Older parent adoption?

Eastern European adoption?

Adoption from foster care?

Special needs adoption?

Country specific adoption sites?

Single parent adoption?

Large family and sibling group adoptions?
Wow! :)
I'm interested in exploring the possibility of adoption as a married couple in our mid-40s, and we have grownup kids. I'm not positive adoption is for us, but want to get information to start out.

Thank you, nextwife and HomeGuru!

nextwife

THis IS a great site for the legalities of adoption.

Other aspects of adoption are not addressed here.

(Example: Are the older, biological siblings supportive or throwing a fit. How should I deal with my older kids?

What is it like to be parenting when one's friends are becoming emptynesters?

Which programs are accepting of post-40 adoptive parents?

I'm worried about attachment issues I've read about, how do I learn what to watch for?

AM I TOO OLD.

Will my kids be embarassed?

How do I get school system support? An IEP?

Cross-cultural parenting.

And so on.

As a Geezer parent myself, I might direct you to GAARP

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GAARP/

with over 1700 other MATURE adoptive parents. The GAARPsters can direct you to other sites, such as foster care adoption.

EEAC has several sites for Eastern European adoptions. WE adopted from Bulgaria because we wanted to do an orphanage adoption (The future prospects for the "left-behind" kids is horrifying in most countries). Our beautiful 9 year old Roma daughter was 25 months old. BTW- hubby has two grown kids in their thirties. He's 61 and I'm 53. And we have several friends our ages who have kids about our daughter's age- so you are NOT too old. EEAC has both country specific sites and sites that address various special needs.

Ethiopia, Kazahkstan, China, of course, Haiti are all active programs. My cousin (55) and his wife just adopted twin two year olds from Ethiopia.

Many older parents consider older parents to be far better than NO parents. The odds are most orphanage and foster kids may never get adopted.

Also, read, read, read.

Last edited:

semicolon

Yes, that's why I'm here! :)

And thank you so, so much for all the excellent information. I'm very grateful. :)

I'll go read and read and read now. Good thing I like to read! :D

THis IS a great site for the legalities of adoption.

Other aspects of adoption

(Example: Are the older, biological siblings supportive or throwing a fit. What is it like to be parenting when one's friends are becoming emptynesters? Which programs are accepting of post-40 adoptive parents? I'm worried about attachment issues I've read about, how do I learn what to watch for? And so on.

As a Geezer parent myself, I might direct you to GAARP

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GAARP/

with over 1700 other MATURE adoptive parents. The GAARPsters can direct you to other sites, such as foster care adoption.

EEAC has several sites for Eastern European adoptions. WE adopted from Bulgaria because we wanted to do an orphanage adoption (The future prospects for the "left-behind" kids is horrifying in most countries). Our beautiful 9 year old Roma daughter was 25 months old. BTW- hubby has two grown kids in their thirties. He's 61 and I'm 53. And we have several friends our ages who have kids about our daughter's age- so you are NOT too old.

Ethiopia, Kazahkstan, China, of course, Haiti are all active programs. My cousin (55) and his wife just adopted twin two year olds from Ethiopia.

Many older parents consider older parents to be far better than NO parents. The odds are most orphanage and foster kids may never get adopted.

Also, read, read, read.

nextwife

Good luck!

And DO consider toddler or older adoption. So many kids get passed over because they are no longer babies. But kids are kids far longer than they are babies - it's a shame to not want them just because they are a bit older. My two year old was truly a blank slate - no language (now-corrected hearing issues) at all. If I had insisted on a newborn, or very young baby, I would have missed out on having this beautiful, bright, enthusiastic child as my daughter.

momofrose

For legal support - here - for emotional support, stories and experiences - try www.ivfconnections.com. CLick on "other fertility paths" and then "adoption" - it is A GREAT source of information from ladies that are waiting to be matched, that have already been matched and those that have children from adoption.

It got me through some tough times when trying to adopt.

Best of luck to you!!

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">