• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Ticket in Manchester, Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You are the one smoking the funny cigarettes.

In Connecticut violations and infractions are not crimes - there is only the possibility of a fine.

If you have any questions I suggest you contact the Centralized Infractions Bureau for clarification.

If the ticket is paid by mail and is disposed of by the CIB no points get assessed by the DMV, however the infraction still appears on your driving history.

If a not guilty plea is entered the CIB will transfer the case to the Court in the GA where the ticket was issued.
They are crimes that can be held in regular criminal court, along with theft, murder, etc. Some courthouses only have 1 criminal & 1 civil courtroom; I have been in one where DUIs were heard, a grand theft auto case was heard,
and assault & battery cases were heard. They are criminal charges in CT. The centralized infraction bureau only collects guilty pleas & fines. Hope this helps your understanding. Also, if you ask for an information, they must provide one & then you can even ask for a jury trial (although this is rarely done). Below is a transcript excerpt from my trial, as you can see, I motioned for an acquittal which is applicable only to criminal cases. I have not lost a criminal speeding or other traffic type case ever; I have gone through 5-7 cases over the years. I could post the entire transcript (redacted of course) if you wish .. maybe I should add this to a new thread to let people know who to act in court & questions to bring up?? ***************** ***************************************************************ATTY. HOFFMAN: Your Honor, the State asked the officer if he had -– if there was anything in the area that would distort the use of the laser device and he indicated to the Court that there was none.
THE COURT: What about the other question?
ATTY. HOFFMAN: And the second part of your questions of –- he testified that he tested the device before –-
THE COURT: I mean -- I know he –- I know he testified that -- he testified as to what he did both before and after the use of the use of the device, but the Statute talks about whether or not that there is going to be proof of suggested methods of testing
and I don’t recall –-
ATTY. HOFFMAN: Well --
THE COURT: -- any testimony to that affect.
ATTY. HOFFMAN: Well, he testified as to the --exactly what the test was that he preformed. The –-
THE COURT: Right, but is there any testi -- I know what he did I’m not disputing that I credited his testimony I have no reason to -- to disbelieve him when he says that, the question is was there any evidence offered as to what the suggested method of testing was?
ATTY. HOFFMAN: Did I specifically ask him if that was the suggested methods of testing? No, Your Honor.
THE COURT: That’s what the Statute calls for. Okay. The motion for judgment of acquittal is granted for the following reasons, he’s charged –- and I cred --not –- the Court is mindful that the trooper has extensive training. I credit his testimony as to his actions that night and frankly trooper I give you credit for attempting to give the defendant a break in connection with this, so this is not a commentary on your actions, but in that sense – so please don’t take it that way.
But the State has the burden of establishing the elements of the offense charged, 14-298 that’s what was charged. There’s been -– there was no evidence presented as to where he entered the highway or the location of the traffic control signals were in relation to where he was stopped. How long he had been operating on the highway and the Court is not satisfied also that the elements of 14-219c regarding the use of speed monitoring devices to support a conviction has been satisfied based on the nature of the evidence that was presented.
Motion for judgment of acquittal is granted.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
CGS 14-314 states:

Any person... failing to comply with any traffic control signal...placed and maintained upon the highway...shall be deemed to have committed an infraction...

Page 1 of my State of Connecticut Superior Court Mail-In Violations and Infractions Fine Schedule states:

An infraction is a breach of state law, regulation, or local ordinance so designated by the Legislature, for which an appearance in court is usually not required and payment of the amount due by mail or in person is authorized pursuant to CGS 51-164n. An infraction is neither a crime nor an offense as defined in the penal code. There is no right to a trial by jury in matters involving infractions.

Last edited by a moderator:

HighwayMan

And if that definition isn't official enough for you, check the following website:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/faq/traffic.html

for the following definition:

Infraction - An Infraction is an offense for which the only penalty is a fine. An infraction is not a crime. You may pay your infractions or plead not guilty by mail. Infractions are described in the Connecticut General Statutes Section 51-164n.

You can quote nonsense transcripts all you want - that does not change the law.

HighwayMan

They are crimes that can be held in regular criminal court, along with theft, murder, etc. Some courthouses only have 1 criminal & 1 civil courtroom; I have been in one where DUIs were heard, a grand theft auto case was heard,
and assault & battery cases were heard.
Firstly, crimes are not held in any court - trials are.

Secondly, a not guilty plea for a traffic infraction transfers the case from the CIB to the Superior Court in the GA where the infraction was committed. Yes, the court is the same one that criminal trials occur in - that does not make every trial a criminal trial nor does it make every offense adjudicated a crime.

And if that definition isn't official enough for you, check the following website:

Traffic Violation/Complaint Ticket FAQs

for the following definition:

Infraction - An Infraction is an offense for which the only penalty is a fine. An infraction is not a crime. You may pay your infractions or plead not guilty by mail. Infractions are described in the Connecticut General Statutes Section 51-164n.

You can quote nonsense transcripts all you want - that does not change the law.
It is heard in criminal court, not a civil or special hearing. They are heard in criminal courts in CT-you do agree on this point It is heard in regular court , and you can get a trial by jury if you wish. The LEGAL PROCESS is A CRIMINAL ONE and that is all that is relevant. Explain why a motion to acquit for granted - they are only allowed in CRIMINAL cases per CT Practice Rules. The PRACTICE RULES are controlling. So it looks like they simply layout that certain traffic cases cannot result in jail time (although that my not be true & I am not spending time researching every crime that is listed). I think you get bogged down with splitting hairs - the question relevant to posters here is : Is it a criminal, civil, special, or administrative hearing. It is a criminal proceeding. Your posting would make people believe that discovery is not available nor pre-trial motions and that is not true at all.

Last edited:
It depends on the speed limit of the road & maybe the traffic survey. Generally between 3.5-4.5 sec. If you do time it (measure 5 times & take the avg) post the result with the speed limit of the road. People might post an answer.
Found 'em....Yellow Light Time Standards | Stop Short Yellow Lights

Recommended Yellow Light Times
Three seconds should be the absolute minimum time for any intersection.

25 MPH -- 3.0 Seconds
30 MPH -- 3.5 Seconds
35 MPH -- 4.0 Seconds
40 MPH -- 4.5 Seconds
45 MPH -- 5.0 Seconds
50 MPH -- 5.5 Seconds
55 MPH -- 6.0 Seconds

Now, feel free to post the statutory cites that are relevant to this thread
See link .. it will lead to the promised land. I was in a rush & did not have time. Also when I post citations in this forum it tends to open up a cascade of legal arguments. Take the post or ignore it 'cause I'm not getting into a long thread w/o purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">