• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red Light Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PotRoastMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I got a ticket for running a red light, left turn. I want to know what you think my chances are of getting it reduced or eliminated.

I thought the light was yellow, the cop got kinda mad at me right off the bat which then made me defensive as well. He asked if I was in a hurry, i said no, that it was yellow. he said back kind of annoyed "I wouldn't have pulled you over if it was yellow". So instead of me being apologetic I was put on the defense immediately. And I think based on our 5 second conversation he decided to give me a ticket instead of a warning. Anyway, I thought I was in the clear, I would have sworn up and down that it was yellow when I got into the intersection. Few days later I went to the police station and viewed the camera from the squad. He had to play it frame by frame for me to see that it actually did change ahead of me (it was a different cop, and I told him that the officer was in a pretty bad mood. He responded and said that is kind of the way that officer is, just his personality to be very matter of fact and blunt.). Anyway, it was a very very close call! I did not speed up to make the light, if I had I would easily have been in the clear. In my mind, that would have been a worse offense even though I wouldn't have gotten pulled over then! Plus, i went back a couple days later and watched the intersection for a few minutes from a nearby parking lot. The left turn yellow is very short, it lasts 2-3 seconds. And the lanes going straight stay yellow for 5-6 seconds. And people run that yellow light every damn time (not that it matters for my case.)

Based on this, if anybody has any experience with judges and it being so close. After viewing the video, I realize I am guilty. But I think any reasonable cop, since it was such a close call, may have let it go. Or maybe have been more friendly to me about it. I just want to know if there's much of a realistic chance. I have clean driving record, no tickets in the last 7-10 years or so.

If you all think there is no chance, then i'll just pay it instead of wasting my (and their) time with a hearing officer or court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I got a ticket for running a red light, left turn. I want to know what you think my chances are of getting it reduced or eliminated.

I thought the light was yellow, the cop got kinda mad at me right off the bat which then made me defensive as well. He asked if I was in a hurry, i said no, that it was yellow. he said back kind of annoyed "I wouldn't have pulled you over if it was yellow". So instead of me being apologetic I was put on the defense immediately. And I think based on our 5 second conversation he decided to give me a ticket instead of a warning. Anyway, I thought I was in the clear, I would have sworn up and down that it was yellow when I got into the intersection. Few days later I went to the police station and viewed the camera from the squad. He had to play it frame by frame for me to see that it actually did change ahead of me (it was a different cop, and I told him that the officer was in a pretty bad mood. He responded and said that is kind of the way that officer is, just his personality to be very matter of fact and blunt.). Anyway, it was a very very close call! I did not speed up to make the light, if I had I would easily have been in the clear. In my mind, that would have been a worse offense even though I wouldn't have gotten pulled over then! Plus, i went back a couple days later and watched the intersection for a few minutes from a nearby parking lot. The left turn yellow is very short, it lasts 2-3 seconds. And the lanes going straight stay yellow for 5-6 seconds. And people run that yellow light every damn time (not that it matters for my case.)

Based on this, if anybody has any experience with judges and it being so close. After viewing the video, I realize I am guilty. But I think any reasonable cop, since it was such a close call, may have let it go. Or maybe have been more friendly to me about it. I just want to know if there's much of a realistic chance. I have clean driving record, no tickets in the last 7-10 years or so.

If you all think there is no chance, then i'll just pay it instead of wasting my (and their) time with a hearing officer or court.
We might be able to help if you had a defense. The officer is under no obligation whatsoever to give you a "warning". Your relatively short 7 year record of no tickets won't mean much - it just means that you haven't been caught running a red in 7 years.

PotRoastMan

I don't think there is any good defense. What would be good defense for a red light?

Honestly, I knew the light was going to change. But it was green as I approached, and I thought I had time to make it through. I didn't want to brake hard and tip over the stuff in the back, it's cold not sure if I could have stopped (I was not going too fast, if I had been going a bit faster or had sped up, I would have easily been "legal" even though much less safe!). This all goes through my mind in the span of about 3 seconds.

I'm just wondering if there is a chance that a judge would accept this as an excuse or explanation and be willing to reduce or eliminate the ticket. To me, or probably any reasonable citizen, it makes sense. To a cop or lawyer or judge, they obviously have much different perspective. Is it a binary test (The video shows, it was red) or are they going to be more reasonable.

Thanks for your knowledge/experience.

Last edited:

Zigner

To me, or probably any reasonable citizen, it makes sense.
I consider myself to be a reasonable citizen. To me, it sounds as if you chose to attempt to go through the light on a yellow instead of preparing to stop for the red. If you couldn't stop in three seconds, then you were traveling too fast. If you were concerned about your cargo toppling, then your cargo wasn't properly secured.

Zigner

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. But you are not answering my questions.
You've asked exactly one question: "What would be good defense for a red light?"
Since they've got video of you running the red, I don't see much of a defense. Saying that you were going too fast to stop isn't a defense. Saying that you were concerned about an unsecured load in your vehicle isn't a good defense. I'm really not sure that you have a defense.

As to the rest of your post(s), they are merely complaining that the cop should have given you a break but didn't, or opining that the judge should cut you some slack. They are not questions.

PotRoastMan

You have around 65,000 posts here, so obviously you are experienced in the field. I would hope anyway. Based on your attitude toward me, I guess the answer is "No, I have no chance of fighting it.". Or no explanation I've shown here would be considered reasonable. So I should not fight it, and just pay the fine.

Clear answers really shouldn't be that difficult. I came asking for help, and only getting hasted by you.
But it is free advice. Thank you.

Zigner

You have around 65,000 posts here, so obviously you are experienced in the field. I would hope anyway. Based on your attitude toward me, I guess the answer is "No, I have no chance of fighting it.". Or no explanation I've shown here would be considered reasonable. So I should not fight it, and just pay the fine.

Clear answers really shouldn't be that difficult. I came asking for help, and only getting hasted by you.
But it is free advice. Thank you.
I'm not advising you whether or not to fight it. I'm simply telling you that to any reasonable person, you appear guilty. You are free to consult with a local attorney who is experienced in the court that you are going to be appearing. They will have an opinion about the "mood" of the court in situations such as yours. If you don't want to pay for an attorney, you may wish to go sit in on a few days of hearings by the same judge to get a better idea of how it may play out.

So, you received a ticket for going through a red light when you saw the light was yellow.
Q1: Were the lights overhead or mounted on poles to the side?
Q2: In the video clip you were shown, was the video recorded from behind your vehicle?

Unless you had the top down, it is very possible for you to observe yourself going through a yellow light when cars behind you observe you going through a Red that had just turned from yellow.

Last edited:

Zigner

So, you received a ticket for going through a red light when you saw the light was yellow.
Q1: Were the lights overhead or mounted on poles to the side?
Q2: In the video clip you were shown, was the video recorded from behind your vehicle?

Unless you had the top down, it is very possible for you to observe yourself going through a yellow light when cars behind you observe you going through a Red that had just turned from yellow.
Both are irrelevant - the OP admits that s/he did, in fact, run the red.

and

The OP acknowledges that he ran the red. His comment of "I thought the light was yellow" is past-tense. He now realizes that it wasn't.
Wow! Sorry Zingner, but like the rest of us I can only proceed on what the OP posts. I don't see where the OP posted that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">