• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

registration good, but still got ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ejolly

The ticket says the violation was for not displaying the registration sticker, and the summons he got for his pre-trial in front of the judge says it was not having valid registration.

JETX

"isn't a section code required by law...? not sure how it is in texas.."
*** Nope. Due to the way that the Texas Statutes are written, tickets usually just have a BUNCH of check-boxes. The officer puts a checkmark in the appropriate violations.

JETX

"ouch.

and i thought CA had it hard."
*** I don't know why you said that!! There is nothing 'hard' or confusing about writing a ticket in Texas.

And just that we, or anyone else, might do it different than California, makes it no less, or more 'special'.

I say this from having written LOTS of tickets in my past.... and also being a 5th gen Californian, now Texan.

spawn_x

well here i pretty much won my tickets when a mistake was made in the code (wrong section was written for a violation.. for tint "windshield covered" was written and i won)..

guess in texas they don't ticket you much, but once they do - you pay. no real good chance of winning through technicalities.

so you're an ex-cop i assume?

E

ejolly

Do you think we have any chance of having the ticket dismissed, or do you thing we will just have to settle paying a fine?

spawn_x

well in either case both section state "not over 200 dollars", so i assume that would be the least that it would have to be lowered to.

try to reason with the judge that 270 dollars for a "sticker" is harsh and not justified..

JETX

"The city did not have a set fine for this type of offense so they made up an amount of $270."
*** Sorry, but that is simply not correct. The FINE being used is very likely the $200 as allowed by statute. The additional costs are very likely the additional allowed costs. Those costs include such things as 'victim recovery fund', 'indigent legal funds', etc. as allowed by state law. The state funds certain legal expenses for indigents from the violators, rather than from 'innocent' society.

As for my suggestion on what to do, see my earlier post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">