• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reinstatement of firearm rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mighteous

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hello,

Wasn't sure which category to post my question under, but here goes nothing.

A year ago I developed a mental disorder and was court ordered to receive treatment for 1 year. As part of the ruling, I was prohibited from possessing a firearm. Now that I'm released from court ordered treatment, I need to reinstate my gun ownership rights.

I contacted the clerk of the superior court in my area and was advised that I needed to file a petition with the judge who presided over my case. When I ask how to file a petition I keep getting "I cant tell you because it would be considered giving legal advice. You need to call a lawyer."

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in my understanding a petition is just a formal letter requesting something. Could anybody help me out with what to include in the petition? A format? Anything really.

I have a plan to go to the local law library but I'm not sure exactly what to go there looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hello,

Wasn't sure which category to post my question under, but here goes nothing.

A year ago I developed a mental disorder and was court ordered to receive treatment for 1 year. As part of the ruling, I was prohibited from possessing a firearm. Now that I'm released from court ordered treatment, I need to reinstate my gun ownership rights.

I contacted the clerk of the superior court in my area and was advised that I needed to file a petition with the judge who presided over my case. When I ask how to file a petition I keep getting "I cant tell you because it would be considered giving legal advice. You need to call a lawyer."

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in my understanding a petition is just a formal letter requesting something. Could anybody help me out with what to include in the petition? A format? Anything really.

I have a plan to go to the local law library but I'm not sure exactly what to go there looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What were the facts surrounding the court ordered mental health directive? Were you ordered into a in care or out care facility?

Mighteous

It was basically as if I were on probation. I had to check in with a case manager and visit with a psychiatrist on a regular basis.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was going through mania at the time.

Just Blue

It was basically as if I were on probation. I had to check in with a case manager and visit with a psychiatrist on a regular basis.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was going through mania at the time.
There is a reason that you were ordered to attend MHC. What happened? It matters.

Mighteous

Mania happened. I started acting out of character and my dad noticed. He tried to get me to see a doc on my own but I wasnt having it. In order to get me help, he filed paperwork with the court and had the cops come check me into a mental health facility.

Seeing a judge was part of the process I assume. I didnt exactly have my wits about me so I dont really remember all the specific details.

Hot Topic

It's not something you get over, like a bad cold.

If there's no absolute proof that you have been "cured," I wouldn't give you firearm "rights."

swalsh411

If the OP has been adjudicated to be mentally defective then by Federal law he cannot posses a firearm ever. That is not the same thing as being ordered to seek treatment and being temporarily prohibited.

Just because a person needs mental counseling doesn't necessarily mean they are dangerous to themselves or others. Only a qualified mental health professional can make that determination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">