• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

relative hiding income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittster6

Well, I've never seen these 'paychecks' so I don't know what they are... I should suggest to my wife that he go elsewhere like check places... I just thought the action or pattern of not claiming income was possible court action... maybe in Michigan it's okay to not claim stuff. I've been told he's been paying some sort of cs. I'm in the dark on that as well. Then from all the input here I'm to assume that my wife or I would NOT be held liable if bro' in law is hauled in for income fraud or whatever?!
Thanks again for the information.

kittster6 said:
Well, I've never seen these 'paychecks' so I don't know what they are... I should suggest to my wife that he go elsewhere like check places... I just thought the action or pattern of not claiming income was possible court action... maybe in Michigan it's okay to not claim stuff. I've been told he's been paying some sort of cs. I'm in the dark on that as well. Then from all the input here I'm to assume that my wife or I would NOT be held liable if bro' in law is hauled in for income fraud or whatever?!
Thanks again for the information.
Like LDiJ said, if they are paychecks then no. The income would be recorded on his W2 or 1099 forms. If they aren't that is a different story. You seem to be waffleing on what the checks are.

kittster6

thanks again for the input. In case I didn't make it clear, I'm not included in the brother/sister dealings. My wife has said that it's not important enough or (any of my business) for me to be involved in her brothers problems. What I'm asking is, is there any kind of statute or offense if proven to be hiding income in Michigan?

fairisfair

Last time I checked being a knowing party and assisting in commiting any kind of a crime, was and is a crime in itself.

Not legal advice...but...

kittster6 said:
thanks again for the input. In case I didn't make it clear, I'm not included in the brother/sister dealings. My wife has said that it's not important enough or (any of my business) for me to be involved in her brothers problems. What I'm asking is, is there any kind of statute or offense if proven to be hiding income in Michigan?

Isn't this your joint account?

How long have you been married? I can't believe that your wife would say that things pertaining to your joint account are none of your business! :eek:

fairisfair

Ithildriel said:
Isn't this your joint account?

How long have you been married? I can't believe that your wife would say that things pertaining to your joint account are none of your business! :eek:
I can't believe HE would listen;)

LdiJ

kittster6 said:
Cashing a check isn't hiding income. That is my whole point. It doesn't matter who cashes the check....its not at that point that income could/would be "hidden".

Now....he may not want to have a bank account because of some fear of it getting seized for child support arrearages or something like that....but that still doesn't make your wife cashing his checks for him fraudulent, or hiding income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">