• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release from rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoodlum

What is the name of your state? IN Two friends and I moved into a home a year ago. We all signed the lease. The rent and utilities were to be divided three ways. About 2 months later one of the other friends lost their job. We agreed to carry the third person until they got a new job and then at that time they were suppose to pay their own way plus pay some on the back expenses each week. It took them 3 months to find another job and during that time we carried them.

Fast forward to last month, this friend moved out and did not tell anyone he was leaving. Then he goes to the person we have rented the home from and tells her some sob story about we are making him pay for everything in the home and he can no longer afford it. He has pretty much tried to keep it a secret where he is staying.

So what does she do she allows him to break his portion of the lease and now expects us to take up the slack.

My first question is are we legally responsible for his portion of the rent since she allowed him to break his agreement?

Too, shouldn't he have attempted to find some else to possible move in to take up his share of the expenses?

I guess I just do not understand how she can expect us to pay his portion when we all signed and it was to be divided three way.

moburkes

Yes, you're responsible, unless you each signed 3 separate leases. You should start looking for another roommate to take this person's spot. Your landlord must approve the roommate. You can then turn around and sue the 3rd party for breaking the lease, their portion of the rent, and the advertising costs for the new roommate. He is not responsible for the utilities going forward, since he didn't use them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">