• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Release of Lease Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My tenant and I have decided to terminate our lease and I'm not going to require the tenant to abide by most of the requirements of the early termination clause. I would also like assurance that the tenant is satisfied with the amount of security deposit that I am going to return (after decucting damages). I want to ensure that the tenant doesn't come after me in the future saying things like I didn't pay enough money or I forced them out of the unit. Essentially, I want to ensure that both myself and the tenant are completely released from all responsibilites associated with the lease. A layer told me the best way to do this is via a Release of Lease Agreement.

Questions:

1) do you agree with this advice?

2) is there a standard Release of Lease Agreement form I can use?

3) how should i word the agreement to achieve the goals above?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Should the release contain the amount refunded to the tenant AFTER damages have been deducted? If I don't include this, could the tenant sue me if she disagrees with the amount refunded? This is part of what I was hoping to avoid by using the release.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">