• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religious Descrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1curious1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?AZ

My company uses a rotating Saturaday work schedule. Usually if you were scheduled to work and didn't want to, you could ask someone else to work and that was that. Enter the Religion. Some of the employees are Seventh Day adventists and this religion observes their sabboth on Saturday, and so they have been excluded from the rotating work schedule. This is all fine and good but... Now we have become short handed and I was informed that I was going to be required to work like it or not. I am looking at the possibility that this is reverse discrimination, in that I am going to be required to work Sat. because I don't have a religious reason.

Beth3

(a) There's no such thing as reverse discrimination. (b) No, this is not religious discrimination. If the employer wishes to accommodate those who have a religious conflict working on Saturday and require others to work who do not have that same conflict, they are free to do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In fact, since from what I remember the 7th Day Adventists are pretty strict about work on the Sabbath, the employer could be successfully charged with religious discrimination if they didn't make such an accomodation.

You have no case whatsoever.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the poster were being asked to work on his/her Sabbath day, undoubtably they would have said so.

1curious1

Beth3 said:
(a) There's no such thing as reverse discrimination. (b) No, this is not religious discrimination. If the employer wishes to accommodate those who have a religious conflict working on Saturday and require others to work who do not have that same conflict, they are free to do so.
Beth3 Thank you. I suspected that this was the case but with all the "work place lawyers" around I figured that it could't hurt to get a few opinions.

As for working on the sabboth No I don't, because the company is closed. I have no objection on the face of it for them getting their sabboth day off, were they strict in their observation of the sabboth. But just using it as an excuse to get out of work really grates me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">