• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religious Restrictions on Non-Religious Workers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

to find another employer? Why would that be? Don't you think that if you objected to what your employees ate you would have a right to demand they not eat it at your business?
What my employees eat is none of my concern.

additionally, depending on the type of business, bringing non-Kosher foods into the business my jeopardize the product provided by the business. They can be quite strict sometimes when putting the Kosher blessing (figuratively since there is no actual blessing concerning Kosher foods) on food products.

and given that it is not really all that difficult for food to be Kosher, it really is not that much of a limitation anyway.
As an atheist I will NEVER be told what I can or can eat because of someone else's religion. They got a problem with that, they can find someone else.

but here's one for ya; ever been around Indian cuisine? Do you enjoy that overpowering smell of curry? Ya bring that into a place and heat it up and you will find even the guy with the fish in the microwave for lunch wanting you to leave.
As a matter of fact one of my people is Indian, he does eat curry, he is vegetarian (not a problem for me) and my problem with him is his cultural attitude towards performing quality and completed work, not the half assed "I put numbers in the computer" outlook he and others of that culture I've encountered in my industry have.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is telling you what you can eat. You are being told what you can eat AT WORK. It's no different from being told you can't wear jeans with holes in them to work. You can eat what you like at home; you can wear what you like at home. Same difference.

quincy

No one is telling you what you can eat. You are being told what you can eat AT WORK. It's no different from being told you can't wear jeans with holes in them to work. You can eat what you like at home; you can wear what you like at home. Same difference.
It is, in many ways, no different than schools banning peanut butter or nut products from schools because of peanut allergies suffered by a few. Kids are not going to die from want of a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. No one will die from eating kosher.

Respecting others and their realistic needs is generally not all that difficult (or it shouldn't be all that difficult).

LdiJ

It is, in many ways, no different than schools banning peanut butter or nut products from schools because of peanut allergies suffered by a few. Kids are not going to die from want of a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. No one will die from eating kosher.

Respecting others and their realistic needs is generally not all that difficult (or it shouldn't be all that difficult).
I always that that keeping kosher was a little difficult. It certainly seems that way observing the people I know who keep kosher.

quincy

I always that that keeping kosher was a little difficult. It certainly seems that way observing the people I know who keep kosher.
I would have a great deal of difficulty keeping a kosher home, that is for sure. But I am not sure I would find it all that difficult to eat out at lunch time or respect a kosher workplace, especially if that is what my employer requested (or required). I guess it would depend on how much I valued my job. :)

justalayman

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

General Rules

Although the details of kashrut are extensive, the laws all derive from a few fairly simple, straightforward rules:

Certain animals may not be eaten at all. This restriction includes the flesh, organs, eggs and milk of the forbidden animals.

Of the animals that may be eaten, the birds and mammals must be killed in accordance with Jewish law.

All blood must be drained from meat and poultry or broiled out of it before it is eaten.

Certain parts of permitted animals may not be eaten.

Fruits and vegetables are permitted, but must be inspected for bugs (which cannot be eaten)

Meat (the flesh of birds and mammals) cannot be eaten with dairy. Fish, eggs, fruits, vegetables and grains can be eaten with either meat or dairy. (According to some views, fish may not be eaten with meat).

Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.

Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.

There are a few other rules that are not universal.
On one site they commented; You can even eat chinese cuisine, as long as it followed the rules of kashrut.

In the end, I just do not see why one cannot respect your employers religion.

I wonder if those offended (other than dave as he has stated he is an atheist) would be upset if the employer demanded all employees work on Christmas day. If they are like the Jewish employers I have known, not only are Christian holidays respected, but often times employees enjoy they observance of Jewish holidays with a day off of work and even sometimes paid.

Silverplum

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/guidetokosherfoodlabels/ss/symbols.htm

"Examples of Triangle-K certified products are Hebrew National, Valley Fig, Sunmaid, Sunsweet, Diamond Walnut, Hazelnut Growers, Minute Maid Juices, Yoo-Hoo, Sunny Delight, Wonder Bread, Del Monte Fruits and Vegetables, Frito-Lay Corn Chips and Potato Chips, Mogen-David Wine, Bird's Eye Vegetables and Fruits, Ocean Spray Cranberry Drinks, Jellies and Sauces, Hawaiian Punch, Mott's, and Kraft Puddings."

It's not as restrictive and miserable and difficult as one might assume. :cool:

:cool:

quincy

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/guidetokosherfoodlabels/ss/symbols.htm

"Examples of Triangle-K certified products are Hebrew National, Valley Fig, Sunmaid, Sunsweet, Diamond Walnut, Hazelnut Growers, Minute Maid Juices, Yoo-Hoo, Sunny Delight, Wonder Bread, Del Monte Fruits and Vegetables, Frito-Lay Corn Chips and Potato Chips, Mogen-David Wine, Bird's Eye Vegetables and Fruits, Ocean Spray Cranberry Drinks, Jellies and Sauces, Hawaiian Punch, Mott's, and Kraft Puddings."

It's not as restrictive and miserable and difficult as one might assume. :cool:

Only Mogen-David wine? Yikes. I know I could not keep a kosher home. :D

justalayman

Only Mogen-David wine? Yikes. I know I could not keep a kosher home. :D
well, there are a few others but due to this restriction:

Grape products made by non-Jews may not be eaten.
they are limited.< Check these guys out. While you aren't likely to find any dwarf grape wines, there is a decent selection of wines available that are Kosher.

http://www.kosherwine.com/

http://www.winechateau.com/category_Kosher-Wine

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm willing to bet that if the owner had made the same food restrictions, but gave a different reason that didn't mention religion, no one would have thought a thing of it.

tranquility

If the owner keeps kosher and prepares his meals in the common area, wouldn't that be a problem regarding the mixture of meats and dairy on the prep surface?

LdiJ

Utensils (including pots and pans and other cooking surfaces) that have come into contact with meat may not be used with dairy, and vice versa. Utensils that have come into contact with non-kosher food may not be used with kosher food. This applies only where the contact occurred while the food was hot.
This is the one that would be really impossible for someone who doesn't keep kosher themselves to honor. Everything that we use in our homes to prepare our lunches would have come into contact with non-kosher foods.

justalayman

I'm not seeing an issue with prep

and what is difficult about having different areas for the different foods that must remain separate?

I suspect those that follow kashrut law become quite accustomed to it being a matter of nature to comply with the various rules. Just as with anything in life, learning is sometimes difficult but years of practice allows one to become quite comfortable with the requirements involved.

Silverplum

This is the one that would be really impossible for someone who doesn't keep kosher themselves to honor. Everything that we use in our homes to prepare our lunches would have come into contact with non-kosher foods.
That's why I pointed out how many packaged foods are readily available, from only one of several "kosher-approved" brands. See the link.

LdiJ

That's why I pointed out how many packaged foods are readily available, from only one of several "kosher-approved" brands. See the link.

Ok...lets pick one randomly from the list...Wonder Bread. Wonder Bread all by itself does not make lunch. You would use Wonder Bread to make a sandwich. You need at least a knife to make a sandwich, maybe a fork or spoon depending on what you put in the sandwich.

Del Monte veggies are in cans. You need a can opener to open the can. You need something to heat the vegetables in.

Etc.

There is absolutely nothing in my kitchen that I could use unless I went out and bought a separate set of everything just to use to make my lunches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">