• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terces

Definintion of Child Custody terms

Ok for some reason I was not getting any response so just help me with this if you will. Can someone please exlplain what all of this means?

First let me fill you in on what our court order states:
The petitioner and respondent will share the joint legal custody with petitioner having sole physical care, custody and control of the minor child/children of the parties, subject to the right of visitation to respondent, which is defined as flolows; reasonable, specific dates and times as mutually agreed upon by both parites.

I would like to know what the meaning of Joint legal custody is and what it entails.

I would also like to know what the meaning of Sole physical, care custody and control pertains to.

I don't understand what exactly it means and have never had any kind of issues with custody untill now. Mind you this court order was put in place in 1998. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand what I am reading. I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:

terces said:
Ok for some reason I was not getting any response so just help me with this if you will. Can someone please exlplain what all of this means?

First let me fill you in on what our court order states:
The petitioner and respondent will share the joint legal custody with petitioner having sole physical care, custody and control of the minor child/children of the parties, subject to the right of visitation to respondent, which is defined as flolows; reasonable, specific dates and times as mutually agreed upon by both parites.

I would like to know what the meaning of Joint legal custody is and what it entails.

I would also like to know what the meaning of Sole physical, care custody and control pertains to.

I don't understand what exactly it means and have never had any kind of issues with custody untill now. Mind you this court order was put in place in 1998. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand what I am reading. I really do appreciate it.

Joint legal custody means that both parents have to confer/agree on any decisions made pertaining to the child. This usually includes medical, dental, education, religion, child care, and items of the like.

Sole physical care custody and control pertains to that the child resides only with you. The other parent has visitation, although according to what you posted, the visitation is not set in stone, in other words, every other weekend. The mutually agreed upon dates and times leaves it wide open for issues. From what I've seen others posting about this type of visitation schedule, there is no way it can be enforced, as there are no specific times written out in the court order.

Hope this helps.

GrowUp!

BelizeBreeze said:
what has any of this to do with relocation?
Perhaps the OP's header was simply a "tease" to a question relating to that.

Anyone else care to venture a guess? ;)

terces

LOL...no teasing I swear...I actually had a queston regarding relocation, but for some reason no repsponses were coming. I edited my question.

Originally I had asked rather or not I would stand a chance in court if he decided to ask for an order to stay.

We have always had open visitation and always at his discression, usually once a month if that. Well May 2005 I let him know that we were thinking about moving to WA. At first he had issues, but then said that he would not stand in my way for the betterment of the kids expressed his concerns and concluded that he was sure that I was putting the kids best intrest in the decision I was making.

He has increased his visitation two two time's a month, and began asking them questions regarding the move, threatening them with court, and telling them that they will have to live with him. Now I am happy about him seeing them more, but I am very upset at the negative remarks and questioning that he has been putting on the kids. I just wanted to know where I might stand in court regarding the whole custody thing.

I don't want a legal battle, but from the threat's he is making to the kids it sound's like he is preparing for one. Thank you for your help. :)

terces

stealth2 said:
And that is his right.

I am not questioning his rights...I am simply asking what are my rights? Would I stand a chance if this does go to court? Thank you. :confused:

Silverplum

terces said:
I am not questioning his rights...I am simply asking what are my rights? Would I stand a chance if this does go to court? Thank you. :confused:
Everybody stands a chance. There's about a zillion factors -- can you possibly list them all? Can we? And who wants to?

You want a guarantee, and nobody is going to give you one. Someone could make a very convincing argument that you've got the edge; and someone else could do the opposite.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">